1 species or 2?

nyphrodel(9 Florida)June 29, 2013

I went for a walk tonight and saw that one of my neighbors' lillies were blooming in all their glory! I decided to pick some for my daughter who's been feeling down in the dumps lately and I noticed mixed amongst these huge lillies was a bush with absolutely beautiful tiny little flowers. It appears they bloom in stages. As you can see in the photo, they have a tiny little red flower that drops from the center. It looks to me as if the little red flower falls off and in due time, the remainder turns purple. It almost looks as if it's 2 different flowers. Am I correct in my assumption? Is this one bush whose blooms change as time goes by, or am I deceived and it is 2 seperate species?

Can someone please identify them? My neighbors are snowbirds and have left for the season so I can't ask them. I'd really love to know. I'm going back out and I'll get some more shots if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Nyphrodel

UPDATE: I went back out to get a better look at this plant and after REALLY looking at the leaves and how it grows , I'm wondering if it's a hoya of some sort. Any ideas?

This post was edited by Nyphrodel on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 3:30

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

It's Clerodendrum thomsoniae. Usually regarded as a "climber" though it does not have tendrils, just grows upwards with support. I'm sure you could regard it as a "shrub" if it were kept trimmed.
The flowers do go through those changes, bud to open flower and then to a remaining bract & occasional blackish round seed within.
A very lovely plant and easy to propagate - will root in water, if you tire of the flowers, don't throw the stems away you may be lucky.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 3:14AM
donna_in_sask

Glad you got the plant ID...hope you are on good terms with your neighbours and they wouldn't mind you picking their flowers.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 4:02AM
nyphrodel(9 Florida)

I'm actually on VERY good terms with my neighbors. I'm sort of like the neighborhood watch. You see, I don't sleep well, so I'm up and down most of the night. So I take walks around the neighborhood and have actually stopped a break-in for one neighbor. Then, I caught some college boys spray painting penis' on the cars in the complex across the street. (I named them the Penis Picassos). I also help most of them with their yard work and such because most are older and retired. Several of them are snowbirds and leave for the summer and I watch their houses while they're away. This year, there are actually 4 houses in a row that are all empty for the summer. This makes this street a target, so we keep a close watch around here. Plus I wouldn't pick anyone's flowers without permission first and only if there are A LOT of flowers and then I ask the plant's permission as well...

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Unknown plant!
I cant seem to figure out what this plant is called....
nanivargas
Flower ID: What kind of Gazania is this?
This was a gifted--not as seeds but already fully grown....
frugal_gardening
Help identify these two
Picked these up at the local flower show here in HK,...
vr46
Tree Identification Please
I have this tree growing near a quince and an apple...
mariahswind
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Ivory 2' x 3'
$76.97 | Home Depot
AHB Carla Counter Stool - Brown - Set of 2 - 125101
$359.90 | Hayneedle
Sample-Arbor Dark Emperador With Crema Marfil Dot Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
69" Cesi Acrylic Tub - Round Feet
Signature Hardware
George Kovacs Energy Efficient 20 1/2" Wide Bath Light
Euro Style Lighting