Quote, 08/09/11

anneliese_32(6)August 9, 2011

God has cared for the trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot safe them from fools.

John Muir

He who plants a tree plants hope.

Lucy Lacom, "Plant a Tree"

(Hope I did not offend anybody with the Muir quote).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilod(NoCal/8)

My take on the fools is primarily Pacific Lumber, Louisiana and Georgia Pacific and the Agencies that approved their sort of Forestry. Now they and most trees are gone.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 10:00AM
coconut_nj

I was just pondering how lucky we are when certain trees stay with us for decades, on your other quote. This reminds me how this is certainly not always the case. The area I live in is the beginning of the hardwoods forest as the sandy pine-lands to the East gives way. Unfortunately much of the pockets of forest that had been here since I was a child have been plowed under to make way for the mini farms. One house, one field, one horse.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 5:59PM
west_gardener

We've been to the Muir woods many times and it is a beautiful place. I'm glad that people have taken the time and effort to save the trees.
Now, here is my dilema. We (mostly DH) are building a gate to our side yard. We've been going around and around about what type of material to use. Man made or natural wood? The man made material will last forever and clog up the earth for eons, the natural(untreated) wood that is biodegrateable , that is my choice.
The best price of wood we have found is at Pacific Lumber, located in SJ, CA.

Our choice would be to use renewable resources, but that is difficult to find in redwood posts and other parts for the gate.
Sigh.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 7:38PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

The P:acific Lumber you are talking about, WG, is not the one I mean, it's just a Lumber yard with that name. The Pacific Lumber Corporation was a predatory take-over by a junk-bond Corporation. You can Google Redwood Summer or Julia Butterfly Hill to get an idea.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:23PM
west_gardener

Lilod, I'm glad we're not buying wood from the corp you're talking about. Whew. I'll check out your suggestions.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 7:49PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

And when they got all the trees they could get, they filed bankrupcy...figures

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 15 - 15
Try to make at least one person happy every day. If...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 24 - 15
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 25 - 15
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock Conflict...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 13 - 15
The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself,...
don_socal
When is Spring?
A count down to spring.http://days.to/spring/2015
west_gardener2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™