LF chose woodwinds

rob333August 19, 2010

LF can join either band or orchestra now and he picked either flute or piccolo. I must've really waxed poetic about it. I wish he'd picked violin! When I asked him if he was sure he didn't want to be in orchestra, he wanted me to clarify the difference. I said, well, they both have instruments and are greatly enjoyable, but you know those kids that get a little too gross [even for you], they're in band. He's really excited, and I'm glad in this day and age, he's less likely to be razzed about it (we had one male flutist (not professional, so not flautist)) and he was bugged constantly! He tells me all the other kids think it's "cool". Ironically, our upstairs neighbor plays saxophone and bought a cello in order to learn three years ago. I recently had a yin to learn how to play violin. He keeps wishing his son would show interest, but none. Must want our children to fulfill our dream?

;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

If he gets good, he will be recruited for marching band....think of Stars and Stripes forever for a piccolo solo.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 11:06AM
rob333

Actually, I was in both and played both. In marching band, we were state champs for years running. I was section leader for piccolos, but played flute. I was in All State Orchestra and played piccolo. They're both awesome, but band members and orchestra members are really different! He'll be great. I cannot take the way he plays the recorder, but his capitivating playing guitar. I'm trying to get him to write down what he plays, as he makes up songs and they're haunting. One day, I said, wow! what was that? It was scales. HA!

Did you ever play?

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 11:58AM
west_gardener

I'm with lindac On this one. If he is any good someone is sure to sponsor him.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:19PM
rob333

sponsor?

I was just sure there was at least one or two "band geeks" besides me. Hm.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 9:04AM
west_gardener

Oops, I may not have used the correct word in "sponsor".

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 7:17PM
west_gardener

Although it can be fun to be a "geek". I don't think it's enough to make a living.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Photos from my recent cruise.
Coral World in St. Thomas. My first time there was...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™