Latest Guest at Camp Nappy. Caring for ....

chickadeedeedee(z 6-7 ish Ohio)November 2, 2010

Mr. American Goldfinch.

I came home yesterday with a male Goldfinch. Sunday afternoon he had flown into a window and a very nice lady found the poor little guy fluttering around on the ground and brought him into her home. She brought him to me yesterday.

He has a severe concussion and has his neck twisted to the left so he's off-kilter and has difficulty righting himself. I gave him oxygen for a while as well as medication for the brain swelling. That has limited benefit now because of the 24 hour or so delay from impact and injury to seeking aid. For the best outcome ... they need to be seen as soon as possible but ... at least the lady did try!

Mr. Goldfinch is tucked into a baby blanket so he doesn't waste energy fluttering around to try to right himself and so he doesn't hurt himself. His neck is still twisted around but he is MUCH more alert this morning and it's easier to get his neck / head in the proper position. We didn't name him yet ... not sure of the outcome to this story.

He needs to be tube fed OFTEN. It's going to be a loooooong haul if he survives. Years ago we had a fledgling Starling who flew into a window. She was in a coma for about 3 days and very scrambled as well. Her name was Grace. I don't quite remember how long we had her but think it was 6-8 months before she was able to be released.

As long as Mr. Goldfinch keeps fighting ... so will we.

No photos have been taken of him. We don't want to frighten him or possibly trigger a seizure with the flash. As he gets better and stronger ... he'll have his photo shoot. Letcha know what the next chapter brings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickadeedeedee(z 6-7 ish Ohio)

He's still hanging on strong! I mentioned his condition today to a chiropracter and he told me what / how to do something to help him.

OMG!!!! It worked!!!! His head / neck is MUCH straighter!!!

The dear man also said to bring him in tomorrow and they will try to help too!

Just goes to prove ... good people DO exist!

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 4:58PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

I was wondering if there was some way to help that neck. How great to find someone who can help. It will certainly improve Birdies chances of survival.
Thank you for your efforts, Chickie.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 10:50PM
maryo_nh(z5 SouthernNH)

Chicka, you're one of this world's treasures. And hubby as well. Not to mention, we all love the stories!

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 7:04PM
annedickinson

What a great chiropractor to offer to help an injured bird. How is Mr Goldfinch doing now?
Anne

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 3:27PM
chickadeedeedee(z 6-7 ish Ohio)

Sorry for the delay. Things were / are hectic at Camp Nappy. (What else is new? :-/ )

Sadly Mr. GF died. While the chiropracter was able to help with the mis-alligned head and neck ... there was nothing to do for the brain damage he sustained. We tube fed him and kept him warm and safe to the end.

An so Nature ends another life. :*(

Until next time ....

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 1:23PM
annedickinson

Aww.. so sorry to hear that. I'm sure it is hard to say good-bye to the critters that don't make it.

I'm so glad you are someone who can and will make the effort to help. I don't even know what to do when something like that happens.

Anne

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
dog pond
Dog pond/pool pics Image link:
shelab15
Sticky Monkey Flower Plant
I am trying to find more info on Sticky Monkey flower...
Houndhome
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
Think of setting up a double waterfall feature. 2 pumps? Or one?
So I just received my new waterfall kit in the mail....
cadieuxjoshua
Rubbermaid vs Galvanized stock tank pond
I'd like to upgrade from my little whiskey barrel ponds...
lola6964
Sponsored Products
Kayu Dining Table
Design Within Reach
Fresca Modello White Modern Bathroom Vanity with Marble Countertop
Modern Bathroom
Basketweave Plynyl Floor Mat by Chilewich
$125.00 | Lumens
Oriental Weavers Sphinx Revival 441X 5'3" x 7'6" Multi Rug
$199.00 | PlushRugs
Four Savannah Napkins
$94.00 | Horchow