What do words mean?

agnespuffinAugust 27, 2011

A lot of our words have changed meanings. The most famous is "gay." It certainly doesn't mean what it did a few decades ago.

So, I want to pick your brains a little. What do you think when you see that SomeOne and SomeBody had an affair?

It's beginning to look as if An Affair can refer to a One Night's Stand.

I always thought that An Affair was a fairly long term situation, with a lot more going on than a few meetings at a bar and then to bed.

I got to thinking about this because of all the recent news articles about famous men having "an affair" with many females. How on earth did they have time for all of that if "affair" was more than a casual meeting!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shilty(6)

Out here not all that far from Peoria, I'm with you, the word affair used to mean a significant relationship of some duration.

Now I suspect men of certain reputations call their one night stands 'affairs', cause it enhances their self image.

My single friends used to say that to get to 'go out' one was expected to 'put out', so some men are not interested in any kind of 'getting to know you' stage. If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, its a duck. And if a one night stand looks like one - it is one, no matter what they call it.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:25AM
calliope(6)

That's how I always thought of it as too. Well maybe its a generational thing. Perhaps a one night stand is now a 'shovel ready' affair? LOL

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:27PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Suppose now they go for quantity rather than quality? It's the trend in everything, don't you see?

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:34PM
shilty(6)

All too true, Lilod - but folks gotta remember - with AIDS and other diseases so common - folks who sleep together are sleeping with every person their partner has slept with, diseases and all.

Its like Russian Roulette with sheets.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 9:06PM
west_gardener

In my day, no mstter what the language, a "one night stand", did not even have a language, as far as I know. It was done, I'm sure, but not in my circle.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 7:32PM
rob333

I guess I always thought of an affair as anything outside of the standing monogamous relationship, usually a spouse, but could be someone with whom someone has been a long while. Don't know about generational as I actually used gay in describing a "delightedly happy" instance to my son the other day. It was amongst many adjectives, so I think he got the meaning I was conveying despite my slip up.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™