Identifying blue-flowered herb from Snowdonia

daccupJune 17, 2014

Hello,
Here is another Snowdonia plant I haven't been able to identify using Mr. Google.

It was also growing along the Devil's kitchen track. It had blue zygomorphic flowers with many hairs on the lower part of the corolla and what appeared to be a prominent nectar spur. The leaves were thick, succulent with entire margins. All the plants I saw only had single flower. It was nestled beneath a rock and slightly elevated above the surrounding ground.

The photo gives quite good detail on flower structure if you zoom in. Sorry for strange orientation of photo - I couldn't figure out how to rotate once uploaded.

Many thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suemcwirraluk

It's butterwort, a carnivorous plant. Well spotted!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:18AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, Butterwort. Pinguicula sp. Only 3 occur in the UK afaik. P vulgaris, P grandiflora and P lusitanica. Yours is probably P vulgaris but I can't be certain as there is no scale. Boggy conditions, acid soil - i.e. Snowdonia is perfect.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:21AM
daccup

Thanks very much sumec and floral_uk. No wonder I was stumped by this plant. I don't think we even have this family in NZ. The images I unearthed for P. viulgaris from Mr. Google look like the plant I saw.

The Devil's Kitchen was a real treat. So many interesting plants in an afternoon's walk.

Cheers,
daccup.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™