Such Beauty Right Under Your Nose

calliope(6)August 22, 2011

Dear Husband calls me outside to look at what he discovered when pruning the wisteria by our back door. I immediately recall it's a 'saddleback' and am thankful he clipped the sprig of vine it was clinging to, rather than picking it up. It inflicts a rather nasty souvenir if you touch it and come in contact with the barbs on the hairs, sort of like a jellyfish.

It's one of the many non-descript moths one might find clinging to the screens on a summer's night. Pretty, isn't it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibs(5/6 OH)

whoah. If I would of come acorss that thing I would have let out a screetch then come back for another look after my pulse settled down.

I found the coolest fungus this morning. Looked like a peanut blossom cookie that had sat out and got the "bloom" on the chocolate. Tried to find a picture on line, but for some reason I kept getting really strange sites. Not sure if was using the word fungi or what.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:03PM
calliope(6)

Can you post a picture of it? I'll bet our collective noggins could figure out what it is.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:27PM
mawheel

Wow! Pretty, but "weird" looking, too--at least to me. It does look as if it's wearing a saddle blanket with a hole in the top for air. Mother Nature equipped this one for survival, didn't she?

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 2:18PM
gandle(4 NE)

Haven't seen that one before Ma nature sure has some strange beautys.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 3:09PM
agnespuffin

Which end is which?

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 3:42PM
calliope(6)

I'm assuming the false 'eyes' are at the head end and it's facing downward. But.......you never know. I'm also wondering what that white mass is on the upper horn and if it's a parasitic wasp egg.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 4:35PM
coconut_nj

I'd never seen that one either. Going to pay attention next time I'm whacking at the wisteria. Smiles. It is pretty. Yes, that's a wasp egg. Those do look like the false eyes so it's the back end. Glad you posted Suzy. Something to watch out for. Now I need to go and see if they have them here. I figure they do because the moth looks quite familiar, even though I've never seen that caterpillar.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 5:15PM
west_gardener

Eeeeek. Having said that, I think you and DH did a great job in catching a photo of this creature. I hope I never meet it face to face or a@@ backwards.
Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 8:13PM
anneliese_32(6)

Looks cute but I stay away from creepy-crawlies with bristles, touched one once, never again.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 8:29PM
calliope(6)

Coconut.......you mean their eyes are in their *ss? rofl. Oh my. That's too funny. I've heard that expression and now I know where it comes from.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 9:34PM
coconut_nj

LOL....

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:11PM
petaloid(SoCal 10a/24)

That's one fancy bug!

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:25PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That appears to be a Tachinid fly egg on the Saddleback. Good catch, Calliope! It seems like they often lay their eggs closer to the front of the caterpillar, for some reason.

Yes, it's truly gorgeous and such a good picture! I had to close down my wholesale container nursery for a couple of days at one time because of these BAD creatures! My employees were practically threatening to quit, lol. I eventually managed to get stung by one, too. It felt like I had been shot.

Many years ago, someone here in the Gardenweb said that this caterpillar reminded her of a Scottish terrior with a jacket. I can't quite get that comparison out of my mind, lol.

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 1:44PM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

He's beautiful, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near me!

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™