My Vines !

posieh(3)August 30, 2010

My vines and I keep getting into trouble. I'm talking squash, they are proflic! The vines must be 30 to 40 ft. long. That's the problem, they ran out into our drive 4 times, and had to pull them back to the garden. Then they ran over my cucumbers and Zucchini and that was a small problem, BUT then they over took my DH's tomatoes, and that my friends is almost cause for divorce! He has forgiven the vines a little as he has lots more tomatoes in containers that are producing gung-ho ! I know he will love my squash this winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

I'm in the same boat (except all the veggies are mine, so there's less conflict). I've got two delicata squash vines that jumped my tomatoes, eggplants and peppers, smothered a sidewalk, and are climbing the house, blanketing the back patio, climbing a tree and threatening the grill. If Steve weren't always mowing the vines on the other side, I think they'd be visible from space. Getting to my tomatoes has become a major undertaking. I have enough squash to feed a village, but I'm never planting them (in this bed) again!

What kind of squash is yours? I like my delicata roasted with butter, a little brown sugar, a little maple syrup, salt and pepper, and cayenne. How do you cook yours?

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 2:01PM
west_gardener

Lol, those squash vines can reach a long way. I've had to double back my vines several times.
A neighbor's vines climed up a dead tree and there were hanging squash all over the tree. Lol, people stopped to take pictures of the "squash tree".

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 7:46PM
posieh(3)

This was the 1st.. time I've planted squash for about 5 years. Last time my Hubbards climbed a huge Red Pine tree. This year I have Sweet Mama and Lakota. I've never grown them before and both are a "winter" squash. Only hope they mature before we get a freezing frost.Hubbards have trouble maturing in this country. We can get a frost almost any day now. Although the last 2 years we haven't had a killer frost until the middle of October. Yup, bake 'em and butter them! Never thought about maple syrup so will need to try that, sounds good.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 10:56PM
Janis_G(z7GA)

Are you sure you didn't plant KUDZU?

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 11:35PM
posieh(3)

I understand that stuff can be more than aggressive.

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 6:23PM
don_socal

Leaving squash on doorsteps happens this time of year.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 11:46AM
tibs(5/6 OH)

I don't plant squash. Too small of a garden and dh just isn't fond of any of them, summer or winter. Oh, he will eat it, but not enough for me to plant. I had a butternut squash baked this week and made soup out of some of it. I got a stick blender for M-day. My does that make cream soups easy. We are going to be eating a lot of cream soups this winter as I try it out.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Photos from my recent cruise.
Coral World in St. Thomas. My first time there was...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 15 - 15
A man's friendships are one of the best measures of...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™