Jasmine Rice

meldy_nva(z6b VA)August 30, 2010

Strangely enough, I grew up with rice on the menu. (Strange because parents were staunch gardeners and a wee pinched for money, so 97% of our meals were from the garden, cow shed or hen house.)

Over the years, my perception of rice changed, or maybe the rice itself differed. What was once a flavorful and aromatic adjunct served plain with a bit of butter, or tossed into the chicken soup, or used for rice pudding or quiche crust, rice became [to me] nothing more than tasteless. A blob of blah, grains of white with nothing to contribute to the dish. I really think it was my tastebuds... but a while back, DH brought home a bag of Jasmine Rice.

Oh wow! Cooking it, I was tossed back to the scents of childhood dinners. This actually *smelled* like rice, and tasting it, yes, it *tastes* like rice. Nothing fancy, it's just what I remember rice being. It has flavor, texture, and aroma that all say RICE.

If you have found yourself thinking rice is blah, try some Jasmine Rice and see if you too have a recovery of the taste buds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilod(NoCal/8)

Love Jasmine rice and Basmati rice - it's flavor reminds me of popcorn.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 3:04PM
west_gardener

Yes, Jasmine and Basmati rice are great. I also like the mix of brown and white rice.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 7:39PM
pamven(z5neastindiana)

I buy 5lb bags of Jasmine rice from the Bermese grocery stores in my neighborhood. I love it so much i can eat it cold. I like to cook it with a pinch of grated ginger and some curried salt. You are right nothing compares with the scent..its pure heaven for me.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 7:40PM
west_gardener

I buy my Jasmine rice from a Korean grocery store, and my mixed white and brown rice from a store that sells mostly CA products.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 8:17PM
norar_il

Is jasmine rice processed like white? I'm asking since I know brown rice is so much better than white and jasmine has been tempting me.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 9:53PM
don_socal

Lots of different kinds of rice are out there and fun for the taste buds.

I like the Jasmine, Basmati and black wild rice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice: History & Types Of Rice

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 12:10PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have any of you tried Royal Blend rice and grain mixes? Totally delicious! The talk about how wonderful the aroma of jasmine rice is triggered this post.

We've used all of the blends over the years and fix some at least once a week with something. They are a combination of different grains, no seasonings of any kind. I always add veggies when cooking, and all of the blends are great with any kind of meat.

I might just make it with some shrimp and sausage tonight!

Dorie

Here is a link that might be useful: Another great rice option!

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 1:15PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

When Ds went off to college he bought a 20 lb back of some kind of rice from an Indian grocery. It came in a burlap bag, and nothing on it iwas in English. It was good, but we ate from that bag for years.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 23 - 15
Every major player is working on this technology of...
don_socal
For poetry fans
I investigate A.Word.A.Day, on wordsmith.org, every...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 25 - 15
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock Conflict...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 13 - 15
The courage to be is the courage to accept oneself,...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™