Vacuuming \\thoughts//

meldy_nva(z6b VA)August 24, 2010

Vacuuming, dusting, mopping, cleaning counters, sinks, and windows... I find those necessary and oft-repeated chores to be boring. To help pass the time while swooping and swishing, I mentally compose "letters to the editor" or to chairman of the company or research department or what/whoever. I rarely actually *write* any missives, but what better time to compose thoughts on:

* the similarity between oil drill rigs and pig farms, being smelly, NIMBY, ecologically tragic, and providing luxuries rather than necessities while being possessed of loudly verbal proponents whose arguments evidence un- or ill-education in basic ecologics.

* a particularly obnoxious and demeaning ad presented by a firm of doctors showing before and after photos of a woman (before frontage is size B, after size EE). I couldn't decide whether I was most offended by the "cosmetic" surgeries being presented as desirable, or the fact that some female had so little self-esteem as to accept those grotequeries.

* the eggs 'n salmonella cases, which hit the newspapers shortly after features more or less promoting raising chickens in the backyard.

And what do you think about while pushing the vacuum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwoods

Usually pleasant things whenever possible,like something to which I'm looking forward.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 3:22PM
mawheel

That's an interesting question; I've never thought about what I might be thinking about, while vacuuming. But, the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that Maggie, our cat, runs and hides whenever I turn it on. Even though she's the reason for extra vacuuming--a very long-haired, fluffy cat--I go over the rugs as quickly as I can, so she can emerge from under the bed. Now, the "Swiffer" is a different story: she thinks I'm playing with her when I push it in her direction. :>)

However, at my house neither vacuuming nor Swiffering gets done as often as they should.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 3:40PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

I may be thinking about how nice it looks when it's done...or sometimes I play what I call the "what if" game: such as where would I be if I had stayed in Germany, or if I hadn't stayed here after DH passed - always decide I like it just where I am.
Sometimes I make up exercise moves to do while vacuuming.
Dusting: I enjoy dusting my stuff, by now I have nothing that I don't like or feel obliged to do.
But then I don't spend a lot of time on housework, having small house helps

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 5:30PM
west_gardener

What an interesting question.
"Vacuuming, dusting, mopping, cleaning counters, sinks, and windows..."

What I think about is how I can minimize the time and effort it takes to keep this house clean. We have a big two story house with lots of sq feet that needs upkeep. I'm thinking of getting a service to handle all that stuff.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 8:04PM
instar8(Z 5 N.IN)

Usually my thoughts while vacuuming are unprintable....it's best just to turn the music up loud...

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 1:44AM
anneliese_32(6)

Anything which makes me not think of what I am doing. Play the "what if" game where in the scenario is no housework, it gets done by wish.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Happy birthday Robin and Pam
My partner for b'day along with Pam. Three threes...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™