Mid July at the Farm 2

gardenbug(Canada zone 5)July 16, 2009

There are some colorful things going on here at this time. Join me for a look.

Coreopsis Moonbeam.

Some cyclamen that I grew from seed several years ago.

Gillenia is a plant that should be better known. I love it! It is taller than ever this year and covered in tiny star shaped bloom.

These dark astilbes make a nice combination with the yellow/green grasses.

These really stand out down in the dark flats!

Mary Rose is a sweet thing!

New this year, a RED delphinium!

Lots of poppies this year too:

White Epilobium (fireweed) grows by the laundry pole.

Water Lilies are out only in sunny weather, close in late afternoon.

And a new BRIGHT orange Echinacea 'Tiki Torch'. I hope it returns next year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Full_Bloom(z5 IL)

Lovely GB...that waterlily pic looks right out of a Monet painting! I love that iris too...is it a Japanese iris? How is the care of it? I'd like to put some Japanese iris on the edges of my river bed out front, but worry that my soil may be too alkaline?

I have always loved Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'...a classic and the kind of color that goes with everything...like the little black dress! :-)

Really drawn to that Tiki Torch's color. Are your worried that Tiki Torch may not be hardy? I saw V make mention of some of the newest introductions maybe not being as vigorous as they should be? At least that's what I assumed she was talking about, but I could have it all wrong. My Big Sky varieties and my Sundowner have down pretty well...but I also note that there is a lot of cross breeding going around in that patch...I should have separated them.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your lovely gardens...It's always a treat to see what's going on in your garden and all of the Idyll's gardens too. Thanks!

Ei

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:57AM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

Lots of great plants there - as usual! :-) Are those particularly late poppies? The only ones I have are 'Patty's Plum' and they are long since dormant.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 5:46PM
triple_creek(z5)

GB, I always enjoy your garden photos. You have many things I have never seen. I like the White Epilobium (fireweed), and the red delphinum and iris are really showy. I also enjoyed the clematis post. Norma

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:15PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Woody, those poppies are the annual ones that spread by seed each year. My Patty's Plum poppies seem to have bit the dust over the past winter. I also have a few Atlas poppies, small orange ones that are quite fun and seed about.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:22PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Absolutely fabulous! All are wonderful.
Deanne

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 9:24PM
saucydog(z5MA)

Everything is gorgeous, gb! I always love how you have the space to let the plants grow as they should.

Saucy

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 7:16AM
michelle_zone4

Again lots of neat plants. Are the water lilies hardy? I really should put some in our pond. The fireweed looks pretty with the evergreen as a background.

Michelle

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 11:57AM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Michelle, I planted the water lilies about 6-8 years ago and haven't bothered to get in the canoe or boots to go out and feed them since. They were in pots and I assume still are. The pond is fairly deep.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 12:30PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Love the waterlilies! How neat. You must be so happy with them. Have not heard of a red delphinium either. Mary Rose is a very pretty. Great pics!

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 3:00PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

gb - there were wild waterlilies in the lake at my grandfather's place where I grew up. Nobody ever fed them and they did just fine. Your pond looks like it's big enough and deep enough and likely has enough plant debris falling into it that the waterlilies have probably just naturalized! :-) They certainly look happy there.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 3:19PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

A lovely collection of plants and flowers. Your are so fortunate that you do not have to contend with varmints eating them all off. I discovered some more browsing right up close to the house from last night. Not even sure what the damaged plants are...but think they are red lobelia. :-(

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™