Why this time of the year is the best.

gandle(4 NE)August 8, 2010

For this evenings dinner we will have sweet corn from the garden, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers in sour cream and Leone just made sweet and sour red cabbage from the garden. Doubt that we will need that tonight but it improves with sitting a day in the refrigerator. The first cantelope just slipped off the vine into her hand so guess that will be our dessert but may have to put a scoop of raspberry sorbet in the cavity.

I haven't been able to work in the vegetable garden this year so can't claim credit for anything except starting a bunch of plants under lights early spring. So she has done all the work there where it has always been my duty before.

Finally talked me into getting a walker and now I can at least get out on the lawn where before it was too difficult to walk on it and keep my balance. Don't use it in public though have a quad cane for when I'm out and about. Think the balance is slowly returning, sure hope so, pretty darn worthless as it is now.

Wandered off my main theme on why now is the best time of the year. Just being able to eat delicious food directly from the garden to the table is, I'm searching for the proper adjective, guess wonderful will do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamven(z5neastindiana)

AMEN!!!!!

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 4:34PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

You said it perfectly, George!

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 4:52PM
anneliese_32(6)

Wished I could agree. This is the worst year for my garden since we moved here 35 years ago.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 5:04PM
mawheel

Your dinner menu sounds delicious! I could easily become a vegetarian with food like that. Our two tomato bushes and one green pepper plant pale in comparison to your garden, but what we've gotten has tasted very good!

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 1:46PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Oh yeah, fresh from the garden is the best.

We finally had a couple days of below-90, so I'm eating again. Maybe I shouldn't... I lost 10 pounds in the past couple weeks, lol.

Cucumbers vinegrette, DH likes it with red tomato slices and thinly sliced onion. Green beans, steamed and with a sprinkle of dill. Braised baby squash seasoned with rosemary. Kale, chopped and dipped in hot water, served with bacon bits scattered. All out of the garden, except the bacon and the rosemary.

What's with this kale, anyway? It doesn't know that it is a cold weather crop! It ignores the sun and humidity and just keeps on producing the tenderest, mild leaves.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 2:04PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

I swear I am slowly turning reddish orange from all the tomatoes I am consuming. Someone ought to erect a statue to whoever invented the BLT.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 2:50PM
calliope(6)

We are also worshipping the mater shrine, Tibs. The weather this year in Ohio was custom made for them. I have two pots of sauce on now thickening to can. I stuck in 48 plants.........down from my customary 76. LOL.

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 2:49AM
rob333

You said it! Enjoy your next tomato enough for me since I lost the tomato bush which was just about to produce, is in flower. Wonder if I should do a drive by and nick one or two when they show up?

;)

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 9:39AM
west_gardener

meldy, your menu sounds so good. Yum. I'm sure it was not the optimum way to lose weight, but there it is.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 17 - 15
Green is the prime color of the world, and that from...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 27 - 15
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 21 - 15
What is a television apparatus to man, who has only...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 18 - 15
Understand where it is you want to go. Then picture...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Sponsored Products
Floral Wall Decor
Overstock.com
Exterior Bracket Light - Davey Lighting
$565.00 | HORNE
Vintage Bed
Italy Design
Nobi Large Pendant by FontanaArte
$910.00 | Lumens
Rounded End Table - Caramel
$322.99 | Dot & Bo