Good gadget for skeeter bites

meldy_nva(z6b VA)August 11, 2010

I know I'm not the only one here who suffers huge welts from mosquito bites. Yes, soaking in very hot water helps, but not always.

On a whim, I ordered the Thera-pik, and it actually does work! Very large, quick-rising welts sometimes have to be "lit" in a couple places... but that's the worst I can say. Regular size bites are neutralized (?) within the 20 seconds. So far, I've used it on about 20 bites, 6 of which had swollen larger than my palm -- one of those took about 4 lights before the itch diminished.

I'm not affiliated in any manner with the product or company. I just wanted you to know that this product did work as advertized!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Therapik

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

Wow, I've never heard of heat treatment for bites, but like you, I react with huge welts and horrible swelling, so I'm willing to try most things (these days I'm stuck with spending most of the summer indoors . . .)

Thank you for the link - I'm going to research this a bit more! At least it won't look as odd as my net suit, for the garden . . . :)

Bookmark   August 11, 2010 at 4:55PM
liza070831(z4VT)

I think this works just like a really hot compress. The heat deadens the nerve for awhile to the area of the bite and uses up some chemical that causes the itch.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 5:12PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I think it is based on heat, but it doesn't *feel* hot during the 20-second use. Weird.

I read years ago that 110*F neutralized the saliva (that's what we are reacting to), and found that a fifteen minute soak does indeed eliminate the itch although the swollen area still remained for several days. But I've never been able to maintain that sort of heat in a compress, and who wants to take a steamy tub bath for one skeeter bite?! especially when it's already hot and humid outside.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™