sun and sunlight orange in afternoon?

melikesthepeculiar(7)August 1, 2010

Right now the weirdest thing is happening. It's 1 in the afternoon and the sun is starting to break through the clouds. But the sun and the sunlight and everything the light is hitting is orange. It has the appearance of a sunset, during the day. That is really freaky. Anybody ever seen that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janis_G(z7GA)

Can't say that I have, Matt.
Wish you had a picture of it to post.

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 7:29PM
west_gardener

It might be that the clouds have some particles in them that turn everything orange. Has there been any fires in your neck of the the woods lately? Does your area have any source of pollution that could cause this effect?

Bookmark   August 1, 2010 at 10:00PM
melikesthepeculiar(7)

west_gardener,
I just found out from a neighbor that there have indeed been some wildfires in our state...nice call!

janis_g,

I took a few pics but my digital card reader is not cooperating so I can't load them up..sorry. It was hard to see in the picture anyway.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 12:26AM
west_gardener

I live in Silicon Valley, and the operating word here is "valley". Whatever pollutions are in the sky, if it is a wild fire in Santa Cruz, or a refinery fire some 30-40 miles away or plain old auto exhaust and it gets trapped beneath a layer of fog in the valley we have some strange colors when the sun hits.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 8:33PM
calliope(6)

Artists opportune this property of light. I don't claim to be an artist, but I notice when I am photographing outside, when in the day and under what light circumstances really impact the quality of the finished product. I really enjoy some of the beautiful filters the sky puts on light and you do wish you could catch it in a bottle. Ethereal and hard to describe.

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™