Too late to plant seed in San Diego, CA?

segask(z10 sunset zone 23/24)October 9, 2008

I'm in San Diego, CA. I'll plant Turf Type Tall Fescue. I know that in other parts of the country where it snows, you have to plant cool season grass by mid september. But here in mild winter San Diego where it doesn't snow and we typically have heat waves lingering into october, I've heard that october is the best month to plant TTTF. Does anyone know how late into the fall I can plant seed? Could I seed even in november maybe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

When do you expect to get your first frost? Or do you expect to get one? For a KBG lawn, the usual rule of thumb is to plant 6 weeks before you expect a frost. TTTF germinates faster, so 4 weeks should be enough time. I doubt if you have to worry about early frost killing the fescue where you are.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 8:02PM
segask(z10 sunset zone 23/24)

thanks for the reply :)

I don't think I get any winter frost here. It definitely never snows here. We mow our Tall Fescue lawns year round here in San Diego.

I was looking at some local sod companies and found this fall overseeding guide: http://www.westcoastturf.com/fall_overseed.php

That web page is talking about overseeding a Bermuda lawn with Rye. It says to do it sometime between mid October to mid November. So do you guys think I could get away with seeding TTTF the second weekend in November (not this weekend, but next weekend)?

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 1:45AM
bpgreen(5UT)

You should be able to seed almost any time this fall or early winter. The earlier you seed, the better off you'll be because you give it more time to establish before the summer heat, but if you get no frost, the seeds will germinate no matter when you seed, as long as you give them enough water. Keep in mind that fescue takes longer to germinate than rye, so you'll need to water several times a day (unless you get fall rains) for a week or two to get the seed to germinate.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 2:15AM
ken1688

I'm up by San Francisco--much cooler than you but my folks live in S.D. so I know the weather. I overseeded 10/5 and things are doing very well. I'll bet you will be fine.

Before I seeded, I spoke with the folks at Stover Seed. They're in the L.A. area so similar weather and gave me very good advice. You might want to give them a call. FWIW I used their Triple Crown (dwarf) tall fescue mix and am very pleased. (no, I don't work for them!)

Here is a link that might be useful: stover seed website

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Overseeding KBG with a Different Type of Seed?
We live in the High Desert area of southern California....
kendog2
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Dead grass from winter need to reseed now advice?
I plan on thatching my lawn of the dead grass and reseeding...
xxnonamexx
Zoysia not looking right help!
its this normal or is this a disease. lots of browning...
pfkaplan1
Sponsored Products
Oxford Pedestal
Home Decorators Collection
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Blue/Multi 9 ft. x 12
Home Depot
Asian Quince Arrangement
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Luxembourg Kid Chair - Fermob
$186.00 | HORNE
Romo Linara Allium Fabric
$123.00 | Viesso