Wild vine with red stem and flowers

lyssaleaJune 25, 2014

Hi, all,

I have a vine growing in the weeds behind my house in a low-lying wet area. They have bright red stems and are climbing up whatever they can possibly climb. They've just started to flower, too. Any idea what these are? I'm in Northern New York, not far from the Adirondacks, if that helps at all.

This last one is just to show it climbing. I think it's climbing some kind of... well... I actually don't know what it's climbing, lol.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thedecoguy

Fallopia baldschuanica, Mile a minute vine.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 12:14PM
lyssalea

Well, what do you know? Thanks, Thedecoguy. Here I was, assuming this was a native weed that I found fairly enchanting, only to discover it's invasive. I wonder how on earth it ended up climbing all over the milkweeds and Spotted Joe Pye weed in my backyard!

All my Googling failed because I kept trying to find native vines of Northern New York. Gardenweb, as always, should have been my first stop.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 12:59PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

It is definitely a Fallopia sp., however F. baldschuanica is unlikely. It may be F. cilinodis, which is native. It appears to have the characteristics fringed stipules of that species.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 3:48PM
lyssalea

Okay, I definitely had to look up what a fringed stipule looks like. :) The F. cilinodis looks like a definite possibility. I'll have to take a closer look!

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 4:04PM
weedwoman(z6 NJ)

FWIW, I think 'Mile a Minute Vine' more usually refers to Polygonum perfoliatum, which is a REALLY nasty plant.

WW

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 9:13PM
lyssalea

I think Lycopus has it right with F. cilinodis. I took a closer look last night.

Fringed stipules:

Thanks, everyone!

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Assorted Foliage Houseplant needs ID
What is this plant? It is only labeled as assorted...
rachelthepoet
Name of succulent
Saw this at a store... anyone know it's name? thanks!...
nanzjade_z5
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™