Coffee grinds added to lawn

uscjustoOctober 25, 2011

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I managed to collect a lot of NEW coffee packets from hotels I've stayed at.

Is it ok to sprinkle the unbrewed/new coffee grinds on my lawn as fertilizer/organic matter? Or do these coffee grinds have to be brewed first, and then spread the used coffee grinds on my lawn?

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

Coffee grounds seem to add to the soil helping to create sort of a compost. We had a spot in our yard that had coffee grounds added to it almost everyday for many years. Around it and on top of the pile it grew the best St. Augustine grass you ever saw and had many earthworms in it as well. Brewed or not? I doubt it makes much difference after a rain or two.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 11:40PM
goren

That's an awful expensive fertilizer you're putting on a lawn. And if you're scattering the grounds at this time its rather wasteful cuz the grass isn't growing in the cold cold ground.
Better to give it to a compost pile where the nitrogen will help break down the contents.

Coffe grounds, like tea, gives to soil a bit of nitrogen which can help green up a lawn. But, really, with what little coffee is drank, its sole effectiveness is miniscule, like giving an elephant a thimbleful of what he likes.
Gardeners have heard about wonderful amendments to soil and think that they are helping growth of plants....such as putting a banana peel under a rose bush for its little bit of potash. Better it go into the compost pile along with other kitchen scraps and see the benefit later on when the compost joins with the soil to feed the plants.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 6:55PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I agree that you have only a miniscule effect. Coffee is one of the weakest protein sources. But I would still use it directly on the lawn now. You're not feeding the grass with it. You're feeding the soil microbes. If you compost it then you are feeding the compost microbes.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
New Ant Hill on top of Grass Seedlings
I put down a layer of topsoil in my front lawn before...
mikec
Need help with lawn renovation in Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
Caring for new sod in Vancouver, BC
Hi, I just have new sod installed a month ago. They...
Arthaith Swan
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Sponsored Products
Finch Oval Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, 42" x 24" Oval, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
American Drew Tribecca Rectangle Table Set - ADL4065
Hayneedle
Woodbury Coffee Table - WOOD
$629.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Clarise Espresso Console Table
Overstock.com
Oval Office Table
$299.99 | Dot & Bo