Not always the same

lilosophieAugust 13, 2012

There is this saying "Less is More" to describe moderation, I discovered a whole new meaning when I checked out my moderate grocery purchases, it meant "there is a lot less in your shopping cart and you have paid a lot more money for it" - I know it's the drought and the high price of corn, which is a major ingredient in everything from feed to cereal - scary!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

You bet it costs more for less in the grocery bag. But living here in CA I can change my buying habits according to the seasons. At this time we eat a lot of salads because fresh produce is available and affordable.
I feel sorry for the people that depend on corn prices this year,

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 7:32PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I drove today about 60 miles through the Iowa corn and bean fields. They looked green and upright....but it's August and there are no tassels. But if you didn't know about the burned lawns and the dying shrubs and trees,And what the corn should look like this time of year, you might think the crops look fine.....but they are not.
The word is fill your freezer with beef and pork when the prices are decent....cause it's gonna be time to eat oatmeal soon!!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 12:20AM
rob333

Linda,

You made me giggle. "Oatmeal and barley" is my running code to my mom that means I am really poor and that's all there is in my cupboard. There was a time I was that poor. I think I called her up one night and said, so what can I make with oatmeal, barley, or both? as a laugh.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:45AM
anneliese_32(6)

Oatmeal has gone up too. I hate shopping.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:25AM
don_socal

Celery
Smart and final 59 cents
Stator Bros $1.69

today

other items up or down, just have to pay attention.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™