Snails Infestation in Lawn

njgardener_2007October 23, 2007

Hi - We have lots and lots of snails in our lawn. They are very small and you can see them with their tiny little shells. They are in the grass, the soil, our driveway, on the garage door, on the front steps, the walkway, everywhere!

We had this problem since mid-summer but it seems to be getting worse now. We put down a pellatized snail killer which didnt help a bit.

What should we do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tmajor

Harvest them .. escargot! ...although, I'll not be buying any.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 9:41AM
rosarama

Set out a container with beer - they just love the stuff. Make sure its shallow enough for them to crawl in and deep enough that they can't crawl out.

Bookmark   October 23, 2007 at 2:09PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

bird baths everywhere.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 8:55AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you are not opposed to using chemical fertilizers, scatter ammonium sulfate around at the regular fertilizer rate. You can get a lifetime supply of it for under $10. AS is a white rock salt and it does what salt does to snails. You should be snail free for years to come.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 3:20PM
njgardener_2007

The Beer idea is not going to work since they have covered our entire 1 acre of lawn. So that would be a lot of beer!

As for the ammonium sulfate - I am open to try anything at this point. I looked up ammonium sulfate and i read that it is used to bring down the pH of soil. Our soil is already pretty acidic and we were actually planning on putting down Lime. So this Ammonium Sulfate would have the opposite affect of what we are trying to do in the first place.

should we still apply it? Also, will Lime kill snails?

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 8:26PM
iowa50126(z5IA)

What you need is 2 or 3 pet ducks (yes like Daffy) to graze in your yard for a week. They LOVE snails. They would clean them out and leave you some very nice fertilizer as a bonus. (grin)

However ... I'll bet your city has a law preventing ducks as pets.

Althought...if you had them on a leash...maybe?

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 7:42PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

DUCKS! I wish I'd thought of that. Start with ducklings and they will hang around when they mature in a few weeks. Otherwise they will fly away. Clip their wings and they will stay until the feathers grow back. Some ducks provide excellent eggs on a daily basis, especially when they are fed on meat (snails).

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 8:17PM
texas-weed(7A)

You will not put down enough Ammonia Sulfate to effect your PH. If you did it would burn all your grass right up. It is only repeated applications you have to worry about, and by that I mean for every fertlizer application.

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™