Mini Pumpkins-update

west_gardenerAugust 22, 2011

Hi all. I mentioned in the past that I was experimenting with growing mini pumpkins in a 3x4 raised bed and that I had a lot of seeds sprouting. The plants are doing well, they are going up, thanks for the suggestion about the trellis (anneliese_32), down and side wise and there are a lot of "fruit",and "gourds".

I've been keeping somewhat of a photo diary, like a before and after. I'm amazed how the plants have found a way to grow in that crowded little box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Pumpkins ujpdate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coconut_nj

They look great West! I love watching how things decide to grow. I look forward to the next installment on their progress.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:10PM
jazmynsmom(Z5 Madison-ish)

A good way to keep down the number of pumpkins is to eat the blossoms. Some are male and some are female, and it'll be obvious which you're dealing with by whether or not there's a fruit attached. If there is, use that too! There are many ways to prepare them, but I usually stuff the flowers with a combination of goat cheese, finely diced shallots, a little citrus zest and fresh herbs. I put them in the fridge to firm up a little, make a tempura batter and deep fry them. Hit them with a little salt when you take them out, and serve them as soon as you can. They make a nice starter for dinner...

Great gardening, BTW!

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 9:09AM
west_gardener

coconut-nj, I'm with you in that I love to see how things grow.
jazmynsmom, thanks for the recipe about the pumpkin blossoms. We live in silicon valley, where we have a large asian population , and blossoms are part of the menue.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 7:58PM
west_gardener

Hi,here's another update on the experiment of the the mini pumpkins and gourds in a 3x4 rasied bed. I had to harvest the fruit/vegetables early because the critters were eating and stealng the fruit. I put the fruits in a basket for the photo opportunity only. I have put them in a well ventilated area, hoping they will "cure".

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin story growing

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 7:36PM
anneliese_32(6)

Thanks for the update. They look good enough to eat! What critters are eating them? Hope they cure well, they are so pretty.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 8:09PM
west_gardener

Who are the culprits? DH actually saw a squirrel pick a mini pumpkin from one of the vines. I suspect they are one of the suspects,

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 8:34PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

They re beautiful!

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 10:14AM
west_gardener

Then there were five. Five in stead of six pretty little striped gourds. Some critter snatched one from what I thought was a secure place.
I planted a pumpkin full of "stuffing".

Here is a link that might be useful: Fooling the critters?

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 8:24PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

That is a pretty crocheted pumpkin! Afraid it may not fool the critters, unless you can spray pumpkin scent on it :)

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 9:50AM
west_gardener

lilod, lol, I had not thought about scenting the pumpkin. I was just hoping that the critters would get a mouthful of manmade stuffing.

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 7:38PM
coconut_nj

Well you certainly ended up with a nice crop. They look great. Those squirrels are sure rascals. I do love the crocheted pumpkin though. LOL.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 28 - 15
When you get into a tight place and everything goes...
don_socal
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™