As requested, this is how I make scrubbies:
I am going to start with an assumption that you don't know how to sew. If you do, skip the first part.
1. I use heavy carpet/button thread. You want a good strong knot at the end of the double thread (threaded through the eye of a long needle). If you have never done this, this is how I do it. Wet your index finger and thumb (saliva works well for this), wrap the thread around your index finger and roll with the thumb.
2. You should have a good knot.
I bought about 12 yards of coarse net/mesh at JoAnns. Anything like that will work. It was about 72" wide, folded into fourths. I cut pieces across the mesh that were 6" wide. Then I folded it in half.
3. Anchor the thread: On the folded end push the needle through the mesh and then between the two threads just below the knot. I do this because the knot will slip right through the mesh if just try to sew without anchoring it.
4. Pull the thread taught. Make sure the knot is secure.
5. Sew the length of the mesh packet down the middle.
6. Cut any folded edges. Believe me this is much easier before you gather the mesh.
7. Pull on the thread and the mesh will start gathering up.
8. Secure the gather. Pull the thread as tight as you can. Wrap the thread around the mesh two or three times, really tightly. Make a couple of knots through the thread to secure it.
9. This is at the point of being securely tied and knotted.
Start pulling the layers of mesh apart.
I got really tired of making scrubbies so #12 shows a really big one. I switched to bigger ones, then at the end just crumpled up the mesh and jammed it in the bag. :-)
Hope this makes sense and helps