My Lawn Needs Help..

btull89October 21, 2013

I am located in southern Louisiana. I moved into this house in June 2013, and the sod was put in around Jan-Feb 2013. I usually make sure that my lawn gets about inch of water a week, but my lawn keeps dying! My soil PH is around 6.5, but I dont think it would kill my grass this quickly..

Can someone tell me what is killing my centipede grass? I'm struggling to figure out what is wrong.

Picture 1: http://i.imgur.com/zoPr5IA.jpg

Picture 2: http://i.imgur.com/jxHF8Ma.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Here are your pictures...

Can you take one more picture? Take it from a distance of about 3 inches away from the blades so I can see the shape of the tip of the grass. And if you can include some of the dead looking grass in the picture, that could be helpful. Also if you are using your cell phone to take the pictures, please wipe the grease off the camera lens with a t-shirt or something soft right before you take the picture.

Centipede should love your pH. Is there any shade over the area?

Have you fertilized with anything? If so, what and when?

How often do you water to get your inch per week? Have you verified it is an inch by using tuna or cat food cans to collect it?

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:12PM
btull89

Thank you for the reply.

I will take a close up this afternoon, and I'll be sure to clean the lens.

I fertilized three weeks ago with Scotts Winterguard. This was the first time it has been fertilized. I will be fertilizing again in the spring.

I water for 45-55 minutes per week. My schedule does not allow my watering schedule to be consistent so it may be a little less than that. I have put a bowl out, and it appears to be around an inch or so, but it could be less.. I have purchased a rain gauge for a more exact measurement the next time I water.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:47AM
btull89

Thanks again for your help.
I have the pictures.

Also I meant to mention that there is hardly any shade. It is in the sun for most of the day.

My entire yard is getting like this. The front yard, back yard, and the sides are all having this same problem.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:56PM
btull89

Here is the other picture I took.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Hickory Nut Tree
What is the best way to deal with Hickory nuts in my...
cdouglas10683
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™