will string algae in pond over winter kill fish?

lovfishNovember 2, 2011

I have a small 300 gal pond with fish that has alot of string algae in it this year Since the weather is getting colder I'm worried if left in the pond during the winter it will kill the fish. I've tried adding Algae Control as directed on the bottle but it didn't help. Will the algae contaminate the water during winter?

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_nevin(6)

I would not use chemicals to control algae. I do not know if your algae control has copper in the ingredients like some do, but if it does, you must be very careful, because copper can be very toxic to fish. Just use a rake to pull out string algae. String algae itself is not harmful to fish, it is a good springtime food for them in fact. I have heard of algae being toxic to the pond is when your kh (buffering) is low and when plants give off carbon dioxide at night it can turn into carbonic acid, if there is not enough buffering in the pond, this causes large PH swings when the sun comes out and the plants start giving off oxygen which raises the PH. Swings in PH are bad, stable PH is good. Algae products, make me nervous, so if you see sickness occur in the fish, it could be from the algae treatment, it so a large water change would be needed. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™