Sulfer water and fish?

jjaazzyJanuary 12, 2013

Property has what they call flow wells, one is free flowing into a large 1/2 acre pond. Don't know where others are right now have to investigate. Water smells like sulfur water, and the pond has a blueish tint to it. It was stocked with fish (so they say) by prior owners, but I guess they got sold off. They listed that koi, bass and some other kind of fish were in the pond.

What are your thoughts, can Koi live in this type of water? Can Koi be kept with bass? I'm thinking what if there are some left in there I don't know about. I would like to put koi in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

Sulphur makes me think of volcanic activity, which (in my experience) makes for acidic water, so the first thing I'd do is test the pH. We use white coral sand in our ponds to neutralize the constant acidification.

After that, I'd try cheap mosquito fish; if they survive, move up to goldfish and eventually koi.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 1:44PM
jjaazzy

Thanks steiconi I have little test kits that I use for my current ponds and aquariums, do you think I would have to do a large water analysis and who would do that kind of thing? Central Fl is known for this type of stinky water, nice to know there is a counter balance with the coral sand and that sounds pretty too.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 2:47PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

I would expect that all the water in your pond would have similar pH, so a small test should be enough.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 9:25PM
gardener1(6)

I have alot of experience with this here is a link that might help you. Pay attention to the aeration part. There is a build up of methane gas and the pond needs to be aerated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabelmans Gardens blog

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 4:22AM
More Discussions
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™