What am I?

Grithix(9)June 26, 2013

Hi,

I recently purchased this plant at a huge sale for $1. It's about two feet tall right now. When I bought it, it had two white flowers, both about three inches in diameter. The plant didn't come with identification, so I don't know how to take care of it. Any help identifying will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

Looks like Catharanthus roseus, Madagascar Periwinkle, aka 'Vinca' although it is not a true Vinca.

This post was edited by florauk on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:34

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 2:21PM
Grithix(9)

Thanks for the response. I've been looking up info on madagascar periwinkle but can't find out why the leaves would be turning red. Any ideas? I bought this plant with some leaves turning red already.
Thanks!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:11PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Somewhat familiar with this plant, but didn't recognize this one, it looks, not good. Do you have somewhere in the ground for it? Looks like being in that pot is killing it, maybe wrong PH, no more room for roots to grow, no fertillity, may have gotten much too dry. Not sure why it looks like that but when a potted plant looks that bad, I put it in the ground if at all possible. Almost always helps a lot. The black pot isn't doing it any favors either, very hot. If it needs to remain in the pot, it might help to put it where something shades the pot but the plant remains in the sun.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:58AM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Sorry, I don't know which plant this is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Catharanthus roseus. I don't believe that has serrated leaves (I think they are entire) & the blooms never grow to 3 inches across.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:19PM
carol23_gw

It reminds me of something in Euphorbiaceae. Maybe it has been overwatered? If you remove a leaf do you notice white sap?

Can you describe the flower shape ?

Here is a link that might be useful: flower shapes

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:01PM
Grithix(9)

The flowers seem to be coming in groups of two - when I bought it there were two white flowers near each other and now there are two buds near each other. I think the flowers each had five flat petals around a center. I noticed that there was also a thin cone coming out the back that sort of looked like a stem but wasn't actually the stem - I looked at the link of flowers, and I think this plant is spurred. Wish I could describe it better. If the ID isn't confirmed by the time the buds open, I'll take a new picture.

The stems of the plant are quite thick - some about an inch in diameter. I'm not thinking it's a Madagascar Periwinkle, mostly because the place I purchased the plant doesn't have it listed as for sale this year.

Thanks all for your help.

This post was edited by Grithix on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:33

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:27PM
Grithix(9)

Also, no white sap when I pull off a leaf.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:29PM
carol23_gw

Is there any way we can look on line at their list of plants or could you possibly paste it here without their name ? That would really help unless there are thousands.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:54PM

Looking again, just noticed what looks like Impatiens seed pods beginning to form - top of pic. Could this be I. walleriana with downy mildew?

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:57PM
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Impatiens hawkeri, New Guinea Impatiens I believe.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:02PM
Grithix(9)

Sure. I bought it at the Cabrillo College Horticulture sale. They have a few lists of plants attached to this website. Thanks all for your help. Here's a close up of the buds and leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabrillo Horticulture Sale

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:21PM
carol23_gw

I guess they left if off the list because the only species I see listed is Impatiens omeiana and it's not that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens omeiana

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:29PM
augment

It looks a lot like Impatiens sodenii.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:32PM
florauk(8/9)

Yes - revision on seeing the close up - definitely Impatiens. I rarely see Catharanthus here so maybe not as familiar with it as many of you. Didn't look closely enough.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 5:41AM

...so does it have a pathogen, or has it just been in the container for too long?

I had no idea there were so many other Impatiens. Why are they hiding them - especially now with the downy mildew issue on I. walleriana?

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 9:57AM
Grithix(9)

Thanks all for your help. I'm feeling confident that it's impatiens, probably sodenii from the pictures I've looked at. I also saw on a website that some sodenii leaves turn a reddish color in full sun. I'm going to try moving it into a shadier spot and maybe transplant the container (I have a deck garden, so no in-ground planting) and see if that helps. I really appreciate everyone's ID info!

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens leaves turning red

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
brilliant yellow flowering shrub in new england?
This was found in New England (MA/RI). It's a deciduous...
maggiepie11
Trying to ID a bromeliad
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Help wanted !!
Hi to you all, Would you please name the plant, I've...
mohsenj
unidentified house plant - foliage
I have had this plant for years, cutting from a great...
PeterScholten
Sponsored Products
Cream Fabric Alpha Sofa and Loveseat Set
Zuri Furniture
LZF | I-Club Large Wall or Ceiling Light
YLighting
Lone Sentinel Duvet Cover
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
Oxford Savannah Rug 5'3" x 7'5" - BROWN/RED
$469.00 | Horchow
Upton Home Carson Oak Jewelry Armoire
Overstock.com