getting tilapia out of a pond

steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)January 21, 2013

I accidentally caught a young tilapia in my goldfish tank yesterday (I was aiming for a young goldie).

I think the baby tilapia may have been moved in with a group of mosquito fish, and I'm worried there are more; I don't want adult tilapia in there eating the baby goldies.

The tank is about 40" high, holds about 4000 gallons and visibility is only about a foot, so it's hard to find fish, much less catch them.

Any suggestions on getting rid of the tilapia? Do I have to empty the tank? Yikes! We're on water catchment, and it would take a pretty good storm to refill the tank.

Maybe I should concentrate on catching the goldfish, moving them to another tank, then empty this tank to get rid of the tilapia.

Any magical solutions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

I'd try while feeding. Hopefully, they'll be distracted by the food and won't notice the net.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

That's what I've been doing, but they're too darn fast for me. Maybe if I starve them for a day or two...but that seems cruel.

I've been trying to come up with something that would work like a seine net, just sweep the population of the entire tank into a small area and remove the unwanteds (I move them to the tank with the rest of the tilapia, which I don't have the heart to eat).

Edit: Actually, I'm too squeamish to kill the fish. If somebody gave me fillets and said, "these are from your pond" I'd be fine eating them.

This post was edited by steiconi on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 3:37

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™