A lily?

adidas(6/7)June 6, 2014

It seems to have 1 leaf and there are no others around it. It is at the forest edge of a cove forest in Northern VA. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It looks like it might be a lady slipper plant that isn't large enough to flower.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:01PM
plantknitter(8)

how about a Clintonia umbellulata ? - native there I think.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:20PM
adidas(6/7)

Thanks for the input but I'm not so sure it's a Cyp. I'm familiar w/ 2 species of Cyp's, pink (C. acaule) and yellow (C. parviflorum) and I don't think it's either of these. At this size there would be some prominent ribbing and the leaf would be curling back a bit * I think*. I'm guessing this is more along the lines of Clintonia but that doesn't look right either.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:25PM
adidas(6/7)

Thanks plant. I think we posted at the same time! It is native here and could be this but I'm puzzled by the single leaf and the more rounded appearance of the leaf....do you know if rabbits eat these?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 4:28PM
Atlamol

Looks "orchid" to me. How about showy orchis, Galearis spectabilis? Not all that uncommon.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:22PM
adidas(6/7)

Could be a Galearis spectabilis. Thank-you! Do you know if deer/rabbits eat orchids? I keep finding single orchid species in odd places...they should be common enough here...e.g. putty root... and they should be in groups....so I'm guessing these are lone surviving specimens because they're being eaten by something....do you know what might be snacking on them?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:58PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Deer eat orchids. I know an area that historically had a good amount of Galearis and the only one I've seen flower had a mesh cage placed over it to keep the deer from eating it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:00PM
adidas(6/7)

Thank-you Lycopus. The deer and rabbits have been on the rampage this Spring...never seen so much damage....I think I have more things in cages than not! I am going to carefully move that plant from the side of the road...we have some pretty swervy UPS drivers around here....tuck it into the woods and cage it!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Halesia species?
Is it possible to determine species from these pics?...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
This plant is finally going to bloom! What is it ?
Anyone know what it will look like? Thanks folks
lizzieroux
what is this seedling?
another one, I don't think it's a weed, looks familiar...
castro_gardener
What is this magenta plant?
Can anyone identify the magenta plant in this image...
Steve Baker
What is this ground cover around the Dudleya?
I discovered another Dudleya this morning in the middle...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™