Mystery Plant - Compound a Leaves and Small Bulb

LantanaLove(9 - Riverside, CA)June 20, 2014

A few months ago, I noticed a bunch of these plants springing up in an area I planned to plant wildflowers. When I pulled them out, I noticed they all had small brown bulbs/tubers attached. I wasn't sure what they were so I decided to do away with them.
Now that my flowers have sprouted and grown, four of these have grown up alongside them.
Anyone have any idea what they are?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

they look exactly like Dahlias, and they do have tubers.One looks like flowering soon, so you can see than what type it is. They are perennial in your climate I think.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 2:05PM
LantanaLove(9 - Riverside, CA)

No way... Why did I rip them out?! There were so many of them I assumed they were gonna be an aggressive weedy plant or an unwanted shrub. That's a bummer, but at least I still have 4 left.
Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 2:11PM
calliope(6)

Yes, dahlia

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:03PM
Desirai(7B)

Dahliaaa!!!!
When in doubt ... let it grow! :)

I had some unfamiliar foliage coming up in one of my beds and left it.. it turned out to be a dahlia too!!!! :)

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:17PM

Last time I was in doubt it was Tree of Heaven. I've become a bit over zealous about pulling volunteers.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 11:04PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The moral of this story is ...... come here before pulling ;-)

Did you dump the tubers somewhere on your property? If so they may be sprouting there.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 1:53AM

No, I threw them all away. I was trying to be extra cautious.
While we're discussing dahlias I might as well ask: I planted some zinnias, four o'clocks and dahlia seeds in my front yard a few weeks ago. The seeds germinated immediately and they all have 2-4 sets of leaves on them, making them easier to identify. After I saw that my mystery plants were dahlias I realized that only the zinnias and four o'clocks germinated. (I wasn't sure what the dahlia seeds looked like, so I assumed they resembled one of the two other seedlings). Do dahlias take a long time to germinate from seed? Do they need a cold period or anything? I assumed they were quick growing annuals since the seed packets I bought were in the annuals section. I always thoroughly read each seed packet to determine whether or not they're an appropriate choice but now I'm wondering what happened...

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:02AM
calliope(6)

Grown dahlia from seed numerous times to sell as bedding plants. It's a really economical way for people to come by them. They'll tuber up after their first growing season and in climates where they're not hardy, one can pull the bulb and store them. No, they don't need any sort of stratification.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™