building large natural pond

herodhobert-2010January 8, 2011

I have a hill side that has water draining through the soil. It is a clay and sandy/gravel mix.Three years ago while planting trees I discovered water seeping into the hole I dug. I built a 4 inch drill and hand drilled down to 11 feet until I hit a rock. Several other holes stopped at close to the same depth. The hole has never dried up but has filled in with soil so that it is only about 6 ft deep now and has widened itself. I can empty the hole with a coffee can but it fills back up. During the driest month it produced less water. On Jan 4 I drew 30 cans out and it was filling up as I drew. It seems that have a shallow spring there. Has anyone built a pond with these conditions?Will a dug out pond produce more springs?How would I prevent the water from draining out further down hill? This is during zone3/4 wisconsin winter.I would appreciaate some answers if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Since I don't know much about your hill, I can't guess if you have a spring or not. I can tell you that during the January melt one year in Wisconsin, our house, which was built into a hillside, was flooded because some dolt dumped refuse at the end of our drainage ditch that ran across the entire back of the house.

Check out the drainage behind your hillside. It might not be a spring at all. Your local DNR may know where the seepage is coming from. The local topography maps published about 12 years ago could be very helpful.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 4:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

When I was a kid, long over half century ago, the government was quite enthusiastic about helping persons design and build ponds. They even gave my uncle some bass fry to stock one he build with government supervision and assistance. Who knows what has happened since then but it should be worth investigation.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™