Floor construction of concret koi pond

kesiniFebruary 11, 2013

I have built many small koi ponds. Now I am building a pond that is approximately 30 foot wide by 37 foot long. I plan to use re-bar and pour a bean around the cir. of the pond. Then place the normal iron (liked used in house slab construction) over the area from beam to beam and then pour cement. Is that sufficient for a 3 foot deep pond or should I add in more foundation beams from side to side? Thank you. Kesini

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zinniachick(southwest Ohio)

Hello Kesini. Many ponds are easier to keep with a rubber roofing liner, specifically 45 mil epdm. This protects against leaks, and a cement pond can have difficulty staying at the correct pH for fish. Also, cement might be rough and fish could scratch themselves against it. I see many ponds with sand on the bottom so the liner lies on sand, and if you walk on it you do not tear the liner. It sounds like you have good experience with cement building -- you could build the sides using the rebar as you suggest, then pour sand in the bottom, lay the liner, then pour a nice cement border/surround on top to hide the liner edges, even make it look like natural stone.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™