Please help identify

Marathon1974June 12, 2014

Plant with white flower, yellow center. Small pointy leaves. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
My3dogs

From Wikipedia -
Portulaca (/ÃÂp�"rtjuÃÂÃÂleêkÃÂ/,[2] purslane) is the type genus of the flowering plant family Portulacaceae, comprising about 40-100 species found in the tropics and warm temperate regions. They are also known as Moss Roses.
Portulaca 'All Aglow'
Portulaca grandiflora 'Bicolor'

Common Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is widely considered an edible plant, and in some areas an invasive type of weed. Some Portulaca species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including the Nutmeg (Hadula trifolii).

Purslane can be eaten raw or cooked, and lends itself to stir fry dishes. Some say it has a slight lemon-like taste and mushroom-like texture. It is relatively easy to grow in more northern climates, including the New England area in the United States.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photos of it in many colors

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:51PM
calliope(6)

I would say this is the garden variety, the oleracea has roundish leaves. This is probably grandiflora.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 5:28PM
weedwoman(z6 NJ)

That one is Portulaca grandiflora (I always just heard it called Portulaca), a garden flower. Like Caliope says, purselane has different shaped leaves, much smaller flowers, and a different growth habit.

WW

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:45PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its an annual.. that reseeds.. if you recognize the young plants next spring.. and actually plant it in mother earth ...

once established.. it can take a lot of lack of water abuse ... and relishes full sun.. in mother earth ...

in other words.. it might not do well in a pot ... especially if it has no drainage .... and small pots in full sun can be a problem ...

ken

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Silk flower NOID #4
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™