Small Home Depot Plastic Pond

lucille(Houston)February 24, 2013

My local Home Depot had their plastic ponds on sale so I came home with a small one.
It will mostly be for birds to splash around in, and is going in a corner of the front yard.
This was an impulse buy so I have not researched, so I am asking for sites or ideas to start that process.
I am thinking it would be good to figure out how to construct the pond hole/area so the plastic pond is not needed at all, since the combination of Texas heat and the fact that this plastic shell does not seem very thick means it will give out at some point.
Maybe digging to hole to a little more than size, lining with concrete, then lining with pebbles or sand, then lining with plastic, then putting the plastic pond in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharon_9_fl(z9 FL)

Actually, those little preformed ponds last quite a while as long as they are set in the ground. It really doesn't seem practical to build a pond (which is what you seem to be describing) and then put a plastic pond in it. Particularly so since it would be almost impossible to create a good fit for the preformed in all that surrounding structure.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:43PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I have one that has been in the ground since 2004 and it is fine. All you do is dig a hole, put it in, and backfill around the edges with sand. I don't have a filter or pump on mine- I only have a few plants and some mosquito fish, so cleaning it out once a year is sufficient.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:42PM
butterfly4u

lucille,
I jsut bought the little pond at HD today. it is 35 gallons.
I wanted a small water garden out front in front of my living room window.
They seem pretty sturdy to me, and since hose said he had one since 2004 and it is still fine, I am jsut going to dig a hole, put it in and plant all around the outside of it. It should be fine.
Post a pic when you are done.
I jsut don't know when I should do this, it is still cold here.
I don't think putting plants in it now is a good idea.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:46PM
lucille(Houston)

I am still working on the picket fence, I don't anticipate starting the pond project for a few weeks. I did find a good deal on a pump. Hosenemesis, you sound as if you have a good system with the fish but I anticipate a bunch of birds using my pool since I am going to be putting birdhouses nearby, so I am going to clean it out fairly often. I'm thinking I can just pump out water to a nearby flowerbed when that needs to be done.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™