Soil Test Results

soup006(7)October 5, 2011

My soil test results are below. I realize it is the Fall and I definitely don't want to fertilize my centipede now, but my soil has quite high pH for centipede. Should I start amending that now? What about any of the other minerals? Just wait for all of it in the Spring?

pH 7.1 Apply 1.1 lbs sulfur/1000 sq ft

Organic Matter 1.6% Sufficient organic matter present

Phosphorus 0.6 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 1 lb/1000 sq ft

Potassium 1.2 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 2 lbs/1000 sq ft

Calcium 30.4 lbs/1000 sq ft Apply 34 lbs gypsum/1000 sq ft-See Comments

CEC = 4.1

Magnesium 3.6 lbs/1000 sq ft

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Here's what I know about centipede. It likes acidic soils with low fertility. From your CEC I can tell you have sandy soil. The most nitrogen you should put down is two pounds per 1000 per year. Usually once in the spring, and once in the summer. Your pH is high for centipede, and this can pose a problem as iron is less available at higher pH's and centipede suffers in low iron environments. Adding sulfur is supposed to lower pH, but surface applied sulfur is much less effective than if you mixed it into the soil, but I would still apply it. That pH will fall over time due to acid rain, but if you want to help it along topdressing with peat moss will help, and any fertilizers you use should be acidifying. Ammonium sulfate is the most acidifying, followed by ammonium nitrate and urea. I would add amendments now, but half the amounts recommended since it is later in the season. I would also add an iron product like Moss out, iron sulfate, or Ironite. That soil test is somewhat incomplete. Next time I would use Logan Labs' basic soil test ($20).

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™