Has leaves like Forsythia....

fizgig777(7)June 26, 2014

... but it's obviously not. I've tried to ID it on my own, but haven't had any success. Hoping someone here recognizes it. It blooms mid-late May here in NYC.

Thank you in advance!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
odyssey3(7 noVA)

Philadelphus?

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 3:27PM
calliope(6)

Looks like deutzia gracilis

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 3:38PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Deutzia.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 4:32PM
fizgig777(7)

Thanks so much!!! Deutzia gracilis it is!

Now to try and start one from the heavy pruning I have to do to keep their plant over on their property ;)

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 5:01PM
calliope(6)

You shouldn't have to try to start one. They are very generous with babies of their own, usually tucked in under the foliage near their base. If you follow the stems down to the ground, you'll see they're not part of the parent plant's crown. We pull half a dozen off of one plant site each spring. This year we used the volunteers to start a hedge of them down a terrace bed. They're not at all invasive......it just looks like the crown is thickening, but they'll start a stand of them if you leave them undisturbed. I love them. Nice shrub and underused.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 9:53PM
fizgig777(7)

Thanks =) Unfortunately I can't trace branches down to the base of the plant because the base of the plant is on my neighbor's property on the other side of a fence ;) I'm hoping to start one from cuttings....

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:12PM
calliope(6)

If you're cutting them off on our side of the fence, that means you have some branches on your side. So, just tuck a branch down to the soil and peg it down and layer some starts. They layer easily. That's how the babies often start that we dig up and move. They just start to root up where a branch touches the ground.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 11:52PM
fizgig777(7)

Hmmm.... I wish they would start that easily by being cut and stuck in soil! All I have on my side of their fence is concrete =\ My garden is further down... hehehe...

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
help id plant please
can anyone id these plants please, they have been coming...
grice38
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™