Large Thorns Nodes Invasive Nightmare

StPaulSummitJune 28, 2014

I bought my first house with the expectation I would put in some hard work and be rewarded with a beautiful barefoot lawn. No wonder they sold it to me in the winter when the yard was under 24" of snow. The previous owner hadn't touched the yard in 8 years. Every week I get a new species of weed emerging. Sometimes I use chemicals and sometimes I dig. This one may cause me to throw in the towel and call in the heavy machinery. These plants are popping up throughout the yard. When I dig them up they are attached to a node on a 3/4" root system. When I pull the root, it just goes on forever and I end up doing more damage than good. Do I stand a chance? When allowed to mature beyond 1' tall it develops some of the largest thorns I've ever seen. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thedecoguy

Robinia

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 4:13PM
esh_ga

You could just cut them with your pruners and dab just a bit of herbicide on them. I keep a small squeeze bottle of herbicide just for that reason.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 4:53PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

The Robinia I have (Robinia pseudoacacia, aka Black Locust and Yellow Locust) are very susceptible to Roundup concentrate. Squeeze a few drops on a freshly-cut stem. Then relax and watch them die!

If the root goes on forever, these may be suckering up from the roots of a tree nearby, or from roots belonging to a locust which was cut down in the last year or so.

In my experience with Robinia pseudoacacia, the actual seedlings -- which grow from seeds rather than sprouting from roots -- are easy to pull up by hand if I get to them before they're 18" tall. If you can't pull them up, Roundup will kill them.

In any case, change your mindset from "weed" to "tree."

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
What is this magenta plant?
Can anyone identify the magenta plant in this image...
Steve Baker
What is this ground cover around the Dudleya?
I discovered another Dudleya this morning in the middle...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Narcissus, or something else??
These plants vaguely look Narcissus, and I thought...
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
Please help: what is this hellish weed? (CA)
I live in the Bay Area, CA. This weed grows kind of...
Polina
This plant is finally going to bloom! What is it ?
Anyone know what it will look like? Thanks folks
lizzieroux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™