leak in pond

LouDiNicFebruary 3, 2013

Have been reading about some problems with leaks in ponds and I am having the same problem. We began to lose water out of our pond several weeks ago and finally found someone to try to help us out. We took the entire pond apart - it includes a waterfall - replaced the liner and folded it 3 times, put the liner over the edges of the pond and filled the pond up. It worked beautifully last night but in the morning we looked at it and half the water was gone, can't use the pump because there isn't aenough water, etc. It has continued to slowly leak. I ca't believe it's the liner, I don't see how it could be leaking over the edges and don't klnow waht is causing the problem. We thought it was the skimmer that holds the pump because that level has been going down, but the pond water continues to decrease and I am totally confused why that is happening since it's all below the skimmer line. Any suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharon_9_fl(z9 FL)

Most pond leaks are in the plumbing to the filter or in the filter. Have you checked all of these? I had a pond almost empty because leaves had clogged the filter outlet to the pond and the filter overflowed.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:51PM
dereklawler

I like your post and i tell u that there are a few tricks to make finding the leak as simple as possible. If the leak is near the top of the liner, you may not even need to remove the plants or fish. Once the leak is found, you can purchase a repair kit at a local hardware store.

Pond Leaks
Pond Liners Repair

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 4:53AM
gardener1(6)

Here's how to tell where the leak is fill the pond, Do not turn on the pump. If the water level goes down the leak is in the liner it will drop right to where the leak is. If no water leaks out without the pump on. Then the leak is in the waterfall or the skimmer box. I've used this method many times it's a proven technique. It works everytime. If you like my ideas check out my blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabelmans Gardens

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 3:09AM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™