Can new grass be laid in cold weather?

serkhab(9)November 19, 2012

Hello,

This is the first time i have done this and was wondering if I lay down new grass when it is consistently in the 55- 60 degree range will the grass be ok or should I just wait until spring? Thanks in advance to any who reply.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

The best time to grow cool season grasses is when temps during the day are in the high seventies/low eighties and night temps are in the high fifties/low sixties with low humidity. If your day temps are in the 55-60 range then your germination will not be ideal. If you do get germination it will take a long time, and probably be spotty. Here is a link with the ideal temperature range for cool season grasses:

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2005/temp819.htm

The threshold for germination varies a bit, but I wouldn't bother below 55 degrees.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:04PM
texas-weed(7A)

Are you talking seed or sod? If sod you can lay sod anytime the ground is not mud, ice/snow covered, or frozen.

Best time to lay cool season grass sod is the same time to sow seed just after summer temps break. Worse time is the beginning of summer, and may not survive.

For warm season grass sod the best time is in spring when the grass breaks dormancy and greens up. Worse time is winter but will survive.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 4:31PM
serkhab(9)

So if I go down to my local Home Depot and pick up 50 sq ft or so of sod and lay it down over the area I have leveled and cleared for my lawn, with temps ranging between 60-67, do you all think it will work out? The area is in the front of my house so I am hoping to finish sooner rather than later because the front is all dirt right now. Thanks again for the help by the way.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 11:07PM
grass1950

You've finally clarified that you are sodding and not seeding, but you still haven't identified the type of grass you are going to sod with. I'm sure TW will have some advice on getting it at Home Depot.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™