My pond is frozen over

JoecdFebruary 22, 2014

Hi everyone. I live in Pa and I have approximately a 4000 gallon pond that's 4 feet deep. I have turtles, koi, gold fish crayfish, frogs and many other things that my kids catch and put in there from a local stream. My problem is that my small heater broke recently and my pond froze over. I try to drill a fresh whole in there each day. The pond has thick ice and is snowed over. Do you think everything is ok in there. It may have been frozen over for more than 2 weeks before I noticed it. I'm not sure though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Holly_ON(6a Ontario)

Time will tell..... a few years ago, I missed catching a five inch goldie when I brought the others inside. In a 100 gal pond, I don't know how I missed it. Imagine my surprise to see him swimming in the spring! Hope yours make it.
They have a better chance in your much bigger deeper pond.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:26PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I've a gutter heater that keeps a hole in the ice all winter.

Some old farm ponds would freeze almost solid. Wild carp would survive. I've no feel for how carp-ish goldfish are when it comes to winter survival.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 3:19PM
livetogardenbypond(6)

I'm in PA too. I also had a heater give out and got a different type as a replacement. It's a Tetra pond de-icer that looks like a plastic rock that floats. I got it from Webb's pond supplies. He has great prices and if you order one morning, generally UPS has it on your doorstep the next day. He's just south of PA in MD. I used to have a Danner heater that was like a donut shape and kept a hole in the middle. The fake rock floats and opens an area around it. Within a few days it opened a larger area than I'd ever had before. Squirrels and birds went to the edge of the ice to get a drink. I really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webb's pond supplies

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™