a very small vernal pool: would woodland amphibians use it?

njbiologyFebruary 23, 2014

Hi,

I built a very large garden pond on my property: a 1/4-acre native plant, densely landscaped lot in an urban area. There are nearly NO woodfrogs, toads, tree frogs or woodland salamanders around due to residential development. (There is a population of redback salamanders on my property and in the adjacent wooded lots; these do not rely on pools for breeding, however.)

I'm considering building a very small vernal pond (6' x 5' x 2') on my property. Would this be too small for woodfrogs, toads, aquatic-breeding salamanders, spring peeper woodfrogs, etc. to use? (Perhaps after being introduced into it as larvae/eggs and returning to breed in it?) I'd plumb a valve to the the liner so that water only stands in the spring.

(I feel that they would not use the closed-system, 38' pond in my yard because there are fish in there, as well as a current of moving water. Also, I read that permanent ponds (especially those containing fish) are less suitable for vernal pond-breeding amphibians due to the presence of a certain bacteria.)

Would I be better off using the spot to build a cranberry/carnivorous plant bog, than wasting it on amphibians that won't use it?

Thank you,
Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livetogardenbypond(6)

I had a 9' pond in a very urban setting. Nearest creek was a half mile away, multiple streets, commercial area and a busy railroad in between. Yet frogs found me! They didn't mind the waterfall or the fish. If you have enough plants in the pond for cover, and provide a way to get out of the pond when they want to, they'll love it. How long have you had your pond? If you've had it through one spring/summer, I'm surprised you don't have any by now.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:18PM
butterfly4u

nj,
amphibians will use it.
You could also plant carnivious plants in there too.
Yes, if you build it, they will come. It's amazing.
Just try to shade it some, birds will be keeping an eye on it.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:19PM
annedickinson

I can't answer a lot of your questions, but I can tell you that frogs / toads will use a very small water area. A friend had a low spot about 3' across and maybe 6" deep that she intended to fill in. It didn't happen. The next spring there were many tadpoles / toadpoles. I will add that there must have been a water source of some kind because the spot never dried out in the summer.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
Floating plants for my hot TX pond (other than lilies)
Any suggesting for good floaters or submerged plants...
cfishatwork
Lotus seeds
Question about Lotus seeds. Has anyone had good luck...
goffer48
Liner for my pond
I am planning to make large natural pool/fish pond...
salasadi
Sponsored Products
BLux | L Flow Square Ceiling Light
YLighting
Sterling Deluxe 5900-59 59.375W x 56.25H in. Pebbled Glass Bath Door - 5900-59S
$517.99 | Hayneedle
Voluspa Suede Blanc Metallo 2-Wick Candle
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Silver Mesh Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Serena & Lily Painter's Rug
Serena & Lily
Potted Acorus Grass with White Vase
Overstock.com
Indoor Area Rug: Allure Dove 7' 9" x 9' 9" Plush
Home Depot
Del Prato Chestnut Bronze 12.5-Inch Wide One-Light Fluorescent Outdoor Wall Lant
$402.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™