Will Shubunkin stay in a creek?

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)February 7, 2014

We've a creek with a place that holds water all year. Normally doesn't flow much except this time of year.

Will Shubunkin stay in such a place or will the migrate when the creek is flowing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pcan

I would not count on them staying.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 5:35PM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

I'd say zero chance any kind of fish would stay in one area of a creek except when trapped.

Assuming we're talking US I think it would be a federal crime to put goldfish into a creek since it probably leads to a federally owned water supply. The water in the creek is probably owned by the state. Depends on the state and amount of water. But again, the state would have something to say if the water flows to a state owned water supply. There's two ways to look at this. Big gov shouldn't tell you what to do. Or these water ways have been owned by all of us for a really long time and we have a right to protect our property.

From purely a hobby perspective it would be a big help if you didn't put goldfish into the creek. The state of Maine has outlawed the keeping goldfish and koi within the state because of this problem. Many people consider it a crazy law, and maybe it is. But there certainly seems to be a very widespread belief by many people that it's perfectly OK to release all kinds of stuff into the environment. So by not releasing goldfish into the creek you would be helping to keep goldfish and koi legal in your state, and maybe other states, by not adding to a problem that "we the people" would then be forced to address to protect our resources.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 1:59AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Why on Earth would you want to do that? Please don't,
for the sake of the environment and the poor shubunkins.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™