New Lawn - I.D. a weed and preparing for winter

sammyq2(6b)November 6, 2012

Hi all. This is a follow up to a long post: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0816265128933.html which includes soil analysis, photos and all sorts of good advice.

I planted about September 1 and managed to get grass growing. I used a lot of water, but overall we are pleased.

First question; what is the weed shown in the photo. It is sprinkled around the yard, and it came up before the grass shoots. How can I get rid of it? Should I look at a pre-emergent in the spring? If you look at the link above, you will see the mature version. I hit the stuff with RU in the summer, but it came back.

Second question; Winter prep. I added a lot of calcitic lime and a dose of potassium sulfate about a month prior to seeding. Should I add a light application of lime now? Anything else for a new lawn?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Did you forget to link a picture?

Where do you live?

Was calcitic lime the one to use based on comments on the soil test?

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:37PM
grass1950

Find some urea (fast release) 46-0-0 or whatever you can find and drop 1-2 pounds per k once the grass has stopped growing--after your last mowing--arond T-day.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 5:18PM
sammyq2(6b)

I'll try the weed photos again.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:09AM
sammyq2(6b)

2nd weed photo

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:10AM
sammyq2(6b)

"Where do you live?

Was calcitic lime the one to use based on comments on the soil test?"

I am in southern Illinois.

Yes, I used the calcitic lime.

Remember me? I'm the guy that dumped all that lime on my yard and you guys found it hard to believe that was the recommended dosage.

See this thread for the background: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0816265128933.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:13AM

Sometimes you need to know the exact weed before you can kill it. In this case, whatever it is, it should be treatable with a broadleaf weed killer like Ortho Weed-B-Gone. WBG will leave your grass alone and only kill the broadleaf plants. Watch your overspray because most of the plants in your yard are broadleaf.

You only need to mist the leaves of the weeds. WBG is not a soil drench. Some weeds take a little time to die. The Weed-B-Gone works by hyperactivating the growth hormone in the plant. It dies by exhausting it's energy reserves. So it will look healthy for several days...and then it's dead.

Unfortunately it is too late to seed for this year in your area. Once the weeds are gone, you will be left with bare soil which will attract more weeds. This is especially true if you seed in the spring. You might try dormant seeding to help 'densify' the turf. With dormant seeding you seed in the winter hoping that the seed will sprout early before the weed seeds are sprouting.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:59AM
sammyq2(6b)

Thanks dchall.

So, I take it it's better to hit this stuff now?

Most of this yard was (or appeared to be) dead when I seeded it on Labor Day. To my dismay, those little broadleafs sprouted even before the grass germinated.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:36AM

I would spray now and do a preemergent in the spring. Timing for that is always difficult. My new philosophy on timing is to wait until the soil is at or nearing 50 degrees, and then on the day it rains pretty good, apply the preem. My theory is the seeds are not going to sprout with just dew - they need real rainfall. And they are not going to sprout in cold ground.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™