Lotus and Water Lilly

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)February 18, 2011

Are Lotus and Water Lilly the same? Does the armature language overlap? Does the technical language overlap?

[I noticed one site listed a genus for water Lilly and then put lotus in parenthesis.]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pondmaninal(7b)

There is only one water lily that is called lotus and that is the Egyptian Blue Lotus (Nymphaea caerulea). I believe, if I'm correct with this, that there are some water lilies that are crosses with lotus which I thing the class or family or something is called lotos but mainly, water lilies and lotus are different.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Craigp(9b)

Cross usage of the common name lotus is part of the problem, as are ebay sellers using lotus and lily in the same description just to get keywords in.

But lotus and waterlilies are distinct types of plants with lotus in the genus Nelumbo (family Nelumbonaceae )and waterlilies in the genus Nymphaea (family Nymphaceae )

To my knowledge there have been no crosses between lotus and lilies; Lotos is a subgenus in the waterlily family that groups together most of the night blooming waterlilies and in no way involves Lotus.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™