Highway robbery.

gandle(4 NE)September 7, 2011

Just about can't read the old newspapers in a box in my shed. They crumble when you touch them , but, September 17 1961 is readable and it seems the talk of the town was that coffee had gone up to a dime. Some of the coffee crowd vowed to not even go in the cafes and restaurants that had raised their prices. Highway robbery.

Wonder how long those vows lasted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmatx zone 6

Until their caffine withdrawal hit!

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 5:35PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

Seems funny, but minimum wage was less than $1.00 if I recall correctly

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 5:49PM
calliope(6)

I wasn't in the country then..........but I got my first summer job in '64 and the minimum wage then was $1.25 because that's what my sis was making working at the five and dime. Ha.........what can you buy for a nickel or dime now?

I had a job at a small lodge in the mountains as a waitress to make money for school. I worked seven days a week, but got Sunday suppers off and tried to make it home after lunch and return by seven monday mornings when I started work. I got fifty five dollars a week, and they took my room and board out of that! rofl. Tips were a joke. If you got five dollars after serving a family for a week, you done good. Even at those wages, I made enough for my second year at university because I lived at home and only had to make tuition. It was $1200 A YEAR! Six hundred a semester.

My ambition was to buy a red sports car and make $10,000 a year. So, I guess the average price of coffee then was just shy of 1/10th the mininum wage. It's gone up proportionally since then, huh?

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 8:28PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I remember making $88.88 a week....lots more than minimum wage in the day.
Also remember when a semester of tuition and board at an Ivy League College was $1850,
And also remember when the cheapest thing on the menu in a nice restaurant was fried scallops. Remember my first "dinner date" with a "college man" and my mother said "for heavens sake don't order scallops"...because that was my favorite! Remember when a budget meal for the newly weds was a halibut steak, baked potato and frozen green beans....yes Halibut steak!! Swordfish steak was for pay day!
Linda C

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 8:42PM
Janis_G(z7GA)

I worked at the local five and dime for a whopping 40 cents
an hour.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 5 - 15
Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 4 - 15
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™