Magnolia acuminata?

Zaqa(10b)June 8, 2014

Is this the Cucumber Magnolia (Magnolia acuminata)? This specimen is but three years old. Although I knowe the age, I had planted a broad assortment of seeds, both tree and shrub, in one location, thus my confusion as I do not remember what I had actually planted there...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidas(6/7)

It looks as if it could be an M. acuminata. Leaves are right...hard to tell w/out the shape of the mature tree. That is some specimen for only 3 yrs! WOW! I've grown a couple of species from seed (M. fraseri and M. virginicus)...they're in their second yr and they are about 4 inches tall! How did you do that?

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:32PM
esh_ga

Looks similar to Persimmon as well if you planted that. Looking at the leaf buds in winter would help distinguish.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:10AM
Zaqa(10b)

adidas : Haha, thank you! I am actaully in 6a (where this plant is located) at the moment, but it was planted in late-November of 2011 and began growing the following spring. So 3.25 years to be exact. It was also planted by a south-facing window with lots of rocks merely inches away. Lots of warmth. It will have to be relocated one day in the near future...

esh_ga : Thanks for the other tip off for Persimmon as that was another one of the seeds that I had planted in that given location. I will make sure to check the buds if I am still at this locale come budding time.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
what kind of lemon orange is this?
it is not lemon, but it has the lemon scent, and it...
preppystud
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™