LED submersible lights

jblanche(SE WI USA)February 26, 2014

Can you recommend any specific submersible lights in the 3-watt, warm-white (2700-3100K) range?

I'm interested in how long you have been using them, and at what depth you have them mounted.

The last two seasons I went through two sets of Atlantic SOL3WE submersible lights. The manufacturer said they were rated IP68 and I had them mounted less than one meter below the surface. They all filled with water within a few months and became uselessly dim. (I have two transformers and both checked out OK under load.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Craigger7

Hi, I must say when it comes to lights I still like Aquascape. Lights are about the only thing I buy from them anymore. I'm in good with a large Garden store in my area and I was just looking at lights. A-scape...don't want to mention the name to much, someone may think I'm promoting. They just changed up their light line. I always liked the look of them, however they were very expensive. Now, they just came out with a plastic model, they are cheaper. The draw back, you can't open them and change out parts like you used too.

Hope this helps..Craig

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 2:25PM
jblanche(SE WI USA)

Thanks. What parts would you change out in LED fixtures?

I used to have some submersible 20W MR16 halogens that also filled with water. I did replace bulbs in them, and it was nice to remove the glass lens for cleaning, but presumably the advantage of LED is a factory-sealed fixture that water will not get into.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 6:24PM
Craigger7

With the brass fixtures, they provide a tool that you can open the whole bulb assemble. I must say, I have attempted in the past. However, I have not been able to fix one of their lights. Weather is be due wire corrosion or other reasons. In a way, I was sort of happy that they made a cheaper version. Now Pondmaster sells a set of three lights with colored lids. I have been reading allot, and if you own expensive koi, lighting may not be the way to go. A lightning hit can kill everything in the pond. Now most submergible pumps have some type of ground that is approved. However, submergible pond lights are not approved. I'm looking to use the colored lights just on the outer pond margins.
Hope this helps..
Craig

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:02AM
rapidwiz(Zone 5)

Depends how much you want to pay, most cash in and overcharge for these. I get mine off ebay and have been pretty decent quality. Note the second one no longer ships to the states, but if you in Canada, you in luck.

I have typically paid around $35 for a set of 3 lights. Amazon is about $60 which is a rip off. I have also bought the ones from china and quality is decent.

I wouldn't pay more than say $40 for a 3 set light.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Led-Super-Bright-Submersible-Pond-Spot-Lights-Underwater-Garden-Pool-Fountain-/111299591018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item19e9f8fb6a&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/350763989513?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Rubbermaid vs Galvanized stock tank pond
I'd like to upgrade from my little whiskey barrel ponds...
lola6964
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
hardy plants for cool spring weather
Which floating oxygenator type plants live in 50 degree...
oliveoyl3
Dividing lotus this weekend
I have a Carolina Queen lotus that has to be divided...
frankielynnsie
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Sponsored Products
NW 5630 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 70/m 5.1mm wide 2m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Freejack Melrose Pendant
Lightology
Gallery Crystal Empire 6-light Chandelier
Overstock.com
Possini Euro Mother of Pearl Mosaic Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
George Kovacs 11" Wide Contemporary Fluorescent Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting