How deep to dig for a new pond?

foodfiend_gardener(6a)February 12, 2013

How deep should I dig the new pond at our new house (zone 7b)? I hope to make it a smaller pond than I have now, perhaps a maximum size of 10' x 8' oval, for goldfish, a few plants, a fountain/ filter, and some sort of "hiding place" on the bottom in case a heron or egret visit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045(7b)

The general rule is 3' deep in at least part of the pond. I am in central North Carolina and it can freeze solid so one could stand on the pond in some years here. I only have comets, but I haven't lost any. My water level is slightly lower than I designed so I am probably a little under 3 feet and it is still OK.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:43AM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

I'm in zone 6A and have a 10'x8' pond that is 18" deep with a 30" deep "hole". It has never frozen solid and the only casualty in winter was a green frog.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:26PM
gemini_jim(7 MD)

My pond is only about 2-1/2 feet deep, but it is very small and has a small surface area (~ 4' x 5'), so that is probably partly why it has never come close to freezing solid. I run the submersible pump all winter with an open outlet, so the water circulates bottom to top and there is always at least a small open area on the surface.

As deep as you reasonably can dig is good, not only for protection from winter cold, but protection from summer heat and predators too. It's amazing how much cooler the pond will be than the air on a hot July day, and that is definitely a good thing for the goldies!

Also make sure, if the area is low and tends to collect water, that the rim of the pond will always be above water. My pond is a rigid plastic basin, and it has floated when it wasn't very full and rainwater collected underneath. When it is full it displaces all the rainwater. Your new place probably has sandy soil, unlike my solid clay, so this might never be an issue.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 2:33PM
cliff_and_joann

Do 3 1/2 feet at least.
Both for summer and winter climate conditions..

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:06

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:59PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Check for any city/county regulations as far as fencing for deeper ponds.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™