Buying a House with Pond in Texas

IrismoonFebruary 9, 2013

First off this photo was taken by my cell phone and doesn't show the size well - that being said:

I am buying a house that I grew up next to. I knew the guy who built the home and dug out the pond that is in the backyard. As a kid I used to fish and swim in the pond and I loved the water lilies. Well, over the last 17 years, no one took care of it as the man died when I was a child. I want to get it back up and nice again once I buy the home. This has been my dream since I was a young but I know nothing of water plants or keeping up a pond.

-The Bad-
The wife of the guy who built it tried to fill it in once with dead trees and turned half of the pond into a swampy wetland. It also seems to have no flow to the water - completely stagnant. All the nice water plants seemed to have died - I think the fish are gone as well. Most I've seen is a snake. The water is completely muddy brown all the time. It has become a mosquito breeding ground. And I have a lot of land clearing to do to get to the pond.

-The Good-
The pond still a good size pond even after her attempts to fill it in. At least 45ft by 30ft or so I think but used to be twice this or more. (Can't see most of the area to survey it myself as it is way overgrown as seen in photo - it goes back farther) Wildlife still drink from it so it can't be all that bad.

-What I would like to do-
I want to keep it up with mostly plants native or common to East Texas and make sure I put in ones to help purify the water some - both in the sense of removing toxins and clearing up the visibility. I do want some decorate plants added in to give it a garden type feel - but I still want it balanced for the more natural ecosystem that I recall from childhood. I also want to restock it with fish but got no idea what to place in it - not pretty goldfish of course. I was also wondering what I need to do to make the water flow better. I wasn't sure if a water fall feature, fountain or anything like that would be a good idea or even works for a large pond.

I really need help as I got no idea what I am doing and I have no experience in this type of project. I expect it to take some hard work and time, but I would like it to be nice again - something to be proud of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbzdude

I would remove as much debris as possible to begin with..then add your plants..the marginals(plants that prefer shallow depths around the edge) and the ones that like deeper water like lillies. I would also recommend getting some biohaven pond islands...these float on the surface and clear up the water...you plant marginals in them. Fish...go with smaller species like green sunfish/bluegills and bullhead catfish. The more plants you add the cleaner the pond will be.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Sticky Monkey Flower Plant
I am trying to find more info on Sticky Monkey flower...
Houndhome
Rubbermaid vs Galvanized stock tank pond
I'd like to upgrade from my little whiskey barrel ponds...
lola6964
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
rosenbarn
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Sponsored Products
Savoy House Traditional Foyer Pendant
1800Lighting
Armen Living Upholstered Howard Bench - LC47211BEBL
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Teal Shell Vase
$32.99 | zulily
World Tapestry Natural and Black 1 Ft. 7 In. x 2 Ft. 3 In. Rug
$13.95 | Bellacor
Polished Brass Traditional House Numbers
Signature Hardware