Barbarian Utopia

PidgeSeptember 28, 2010

Tecolote and Venado (aka my son Paul and his eight-year-old son Asher) headed out on March 9 to hike the length of the Appalachian Trail this year. They are within 100 miles of the 2200 mile trek to the finish on Maine's Mt. Katahdin. I wondered if Asher could do this--but he has become the driver of the adventure. Here's to you, Asher!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbarian Utopia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

I walked many parts of the "Appalachian Trail" while living back east. The trails were well marked and it was an easy walk for us week-end walkers. It is a beautiful part of Virginia and West Virginia. What's up with the "Barbarian" thingy?

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 8:43PM
Pidge

West, the phrase comes from Benton Mackaye, one of the central figures in establishing the Appalachian Trail and a man whose writings are both startling and mind-changing--though sometimes a bit too hyperbolic for my taste. From what I can gather from the little I have read of Mackaye, he meant the phrase to contrast with the Metrolitan who wants the trail to be less wild and more tame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benton Mackaye

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 12:20PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Many congratulations to both for their accomplishment.

I've walked portions of the trail, and once upon a time had hopes of walking the whole thing. At that time, a notable amount of the southern segment was really for experienced hikers with vague markers and tough climbs.

Do let us know how they rated it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 1:19PM
mawheel

Walking the complete Appalachian Trail is a great accomplishment for anybody, but it's extra great for an eight year old. He must be a very special and very tough kid. You must be proud of both of them.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 1:40PM
Pidge

The toughest climb, according to Tecolote, was the Mahoosuc Notch in Western Maine. Often described as the "toughest mile on the AT," this notch can take several hours to treverse. Tecolote and Venado (my son's and grandson's trail names) were very pumped up by having done it in 1 hr. 45 mins.
If you are on Facebook, check out Barbarian Utopia for a remarkable account of this amazing trek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahoosuc Notch

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 2:48PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

I have followed the trek on Facebook and am so impressed at their accomplishment. Venado will never forget this and it will have a great influence on his outlook on his life and his future.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 11:37PM
Pidge

Lilo, I hear from everyone who has met up with them and also from Tecolote that the little boy who headed out on this trek is a different boy now. I really do think this will work out to be a life-changing experience for him. I am anxious to see him again and just "feel" what's been happening to him.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 5:50AM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 23 - 15
Every major player is working on this technology of...
don_socal
what was Y Day in 1939?
I am watching the WWw movie series Winds Of War. In...
quirkpod
My Father the Philosopher - a story
My father the philosopher The regulars here are literate...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 25 - 15
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock Conflict...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Pastel Utopia 52 Inch Round Wood Top Dining Table
Beyond Stores
Shangri-La Ceiling Fan by Minka Aire Fans
$429.95 | Lumens
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Utopia Granite 7 ft. 9 in. x 10
Home Depot
Utopia Wall Sconce
Lightology
Belle Epoque Utopia Down-Alternative Pillow Multicolor - 81660
$27.66 | Hayneedle