Overseeding

krnuttleNovember 5, 2012

I have posted on this forum before as my thoughts on my lawn evolved. About 6 weeks ago I bought topsoil and spread it on my south facing clay and quartz slope. I fertilized and planted Scott's Southern mix. After the first planting was well up, I went back and seeded the areas that appeared to have been missed. On the third "reseeding" I finally ran out of grass seed.

I am very pleased with the results, and about a week ago made the first cut with the mower, when the new grass approached 4 to 6 inches tall.

We live about 25 miles east of downtown Raliegh. Will it hurt or help if I overseed sometime in late February or early March. This would give about two to three months before the extreme heat comes in. The grass is on a south facing slope.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

What is Scott's Southern Mix? Please look at the label on the bag and find the Guaranteed Analysis. What does that say?

Generally seeding in the spring is a bad idea. It is too early for seeding southern grasses and too late for seeding cool season grasses. The results is weeds.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:44PM
krnuttle

We live in Raleigh NC and bought it at Lowes. I had the commercial name wrong, it is sold as "Scotts Southern Gold Tall Fescue Grass Seed 17440" and can be found by Googling. It is marketed as being developed at North Carolina State University.

While I am extremely satisfied so far, I learned something interesting. It does not seem to be in general circulation. I don't know if it is a new blend Scott's is testing or it something being discontinued. It is available at Lowes, but I could not find it by searching on the Scott's website.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:28AM
tiemco

Do you know what cultivars were used in that mix (it should be listed on the bag)?

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:10AM
krnuttle

I knew I had spread the last of the seed before I started this thread, but realized today, I had not cleaned up after myself as well as I should. Here is a picture of the label from the above grass seed

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 6:05PM
kidhorn(7a MD)

That's good fescue seed. It germinates fast.

It's best to seed in the fall, but spring can work also. I would fill in spots in early spring and see what happens. You may need to water a few times during the summer when it's really hot and dry.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:12PM
lyndondb

I live in WNC, mountains, and my lawn is fairly steep.

Just signed up for this web site and realize I have been a complete idiot trying to grow grass for the last few years.
Made all the mistakes you describe and have a healthy area of crabcrass, weeds, and very little else.
STARTING OVER.... Is there anything I can do between now and spring to begin to recover my lawn?

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:07AM
grass1950

lyndondb,
You should start a new thread.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™