Need help with broken lawn

toxsidNovember 11, 2013

I just bought a house in Orange, CA. It was a foreclosure and the previous owner decided it would be awesome not to water the grass and has caused bald patches and weeds (mostly crabgrass). The backyard has automatic sprinklers and I recently installed automatic sprinklers in the front yard, but I am having a few issues.

What type of grass do I have?

Currently my sprinklers are set to go off at 7am every other day, it has 6 valves to cycle through, each and 10 mins, it will repeat this at 9am. Am I watering too much or too little, what are your recommendations. Please see pictures for more details.

How can I get rid of the weeds (especially the crabgrass, I have tried this and didnt seem to work at all http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0421070-Weed-B-Gon-Crabgrass-24-Ounce/dp/B000GRNOS2). Is my grass doomed? Would reseeding and fertilizer fix this to overbear the crabgrass?

In the backyard, the grass is pretty much weed free and good looking however recently I noticed moss growing around the drainage area. How can I get rid of this and repair?

Thanks for all your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: View yard images here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

This time of year in your location you should be watering once per month. The amount should be 1 inch, so put out some cat food or tuna cans to measure how long it takes to get an inch.

Can't tell what grass you have from that altitude. Didn't see anything that looked like crabgrass, though. Wait for a cloudy day or take the pictures when the sun is low in the sky. When you get sun on the grass it is very hard to see the difference between grass and shadows. Also get your camera lens down about 3 inches from the grass to get pictures to identify. And don't mow before the pictures. Some grasses have very distinct shape before you clip off the end.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Grass & pine straw in winter
Part of my yard St Augustine grass, much of which is...
tao55
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™